Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Using PC Alarm clock with SCCM

JCall6
Beginner

Hi,

I'd like to use the collection capability of SCCM (link collection to an OU) together with vPro's PC Alarm clock to wake all machines on a time schedule. I came across this you tube video which discusses it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMjEJAJdG9U Intel vPro Technology- Schedule PC Wakeup With Alarm Clock Using PowerShell - YouTube) and he makes reference to an SCCM_Collection_Alarmclock.ps1 script, but I can't seem to find this. I tried downloading the API but didn't find it in there either. I'm using vPro (5.x upwards) and SCCM 2012, anyone have any suggestions on where I might locate this?

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alan_A_Intel
Employee

jimc84,

While that particular PowerShell script is not available, there is another Alarm Clock PowerShell script that's designed for use with SCCM.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21696 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21696

The PowerShell script is called Alarm_Setter.ps1, and is located ../Content/Alarm_Setter/Alarm_Setter.ps1

-Alan

idata
Employee

Thanks Alan. While those scripts do provide an alternative to the WOL component of SCCM (i.e. for targeting machines with software packages/updates), its not exactly what I was looking for. I would like to use PC Alarm clock to target machines in a specific collection, and wake them up prior to users starting work each day at 9am. The powershell cmdlet for PC Alarm clock doesn't appear to have a mechanism to query an OU (it only uses a text file which I don't want to have keep populating), do you know if this is possible or what is best practice?

Jim

0 Kudos
Alan_A_Intel
Employee

Jim,

You can advertise the Alarm Setting Advertisement to the desired collection and set it run each day at 9AM. Set this advertisement to contain an "IntelvPro" flag somewhere in the advertisement data. The Alarm_setter.PS1 script will examine the advertisement and realize that it contains the flag and needs to run again the next day at 9AM. This will effectively set the AlarmClock.exe to wake up the system 10 minutes prior to 9AM.

0 Kudos
JCall6
Beginner

Hi Alan,

I created the advertisement as you suggested & ran it against the vPro enabled desktop. It found the advertisement and I expected it to run this morning (at 8.50am)& start the machine. However, it didn't execute as expected so I'm not sure where I've gone wrong here. There was an error at the end of the alarm_setter.log (see screenshots below) but it isn't clear what this means. Can you advise?

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
Alan_A_Intel
Employee

Run the task locally as the user associated with the task sequence to confirm that user has access to AMT.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alan,

I logged on to the local desktop with the account that has access to Intel AMT, after giving it local administrator rights on this PC. Unfortunately, after trying to run the batch file locally using the AMT account, it is generating a slightly different error now, this time related to the PowerShell script itself.

Does it matter that I'm trying to run this on an AMT provisioned machine running Windows 7 64-bit?

0 Kudos
Alan_A_Intel
Employee

Please verify that the "FWVersion" registry key is present at the following location, and has data.

HKLM:\SOFTWARE\INTEL\Setup and Configuration Software\SystemDiscovery\ManageabilityInfo

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This issue has now been resolved. With Alan's help, I was able to narrow the issue down to a Kerberos authentication issue, caused by the fact I never added the registry key - described in this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908209/en-us article - to the machines. This prevented me from connecting using the AMT WebGUI but also prevented the alarm clock from being set correctly. Once the registry key had been added & PC rebooted, I was able to connect using WebGUI and PCE alarm clock was set without issue.

Thanks again for all the support Alan.

0 Kudos