Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

vPro AMT KVM: Black screen/no screen updates via VNC

CHess2
Beginner

Hello,

I'm setting up a Supermicro server with an X10SAE board and I have issues getting AMT KVM to work.

I set everything in the AMT ME bootup interface and also configured via KVM Console (KVMControlApplication.exe) to "KVM Status: Enabled - all ports". Here, I was not sure which "Default visibile monitor" to choose, so I tried each of them. Result was always the same:

With any VNC viewer, I can connect to the server. I can authenticate and successfully log in. After that, the attached screen on the server shows a red/yellow flashing border and a connection icon in the right upper corner. When I move the mouse or press a keyboard key in the VNC client, I can see these actions being performed on the server screen.

BUT: The problem is, that the VNC client stays clear. Depending on the VNC client I use, the window stays always black or red. This is independent of the state the server is in, i.e. it's the same if the server is in POST/BIOS/booting up, or the operating system has fully booted. Nevertheless, the client gets notified by the changes of the screen resolution, so the VNC window changes size when the server changes from POST to booting up and then again when reaching the GUI.

Depending on the VNC server I use, the VNC client terminates after a short time (less than a minute) without comments, or tries to reestablish the connection. Interesting enough, Real VNC shows the error message

0x8086210E: Internal KVM failure

which is, according to the "Intel AMT implementation and Reference Guide" an "Internal failure". Not very helpful.

I'm stuck here. Help would be appreciated.

The Intel Active Management Technology webinterface shows:

Platform

Computer model: X10SAE

Manufacturer: Supermicro

Baseboard

Manufacturer: Supermicro

Product name: X10SAE

Version: 1.01

BIOS

Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.

Version: 3.0

Release date: 05/20/2015

Processor 1

Manufacturer: Intel

Family: Intel® Xeon® processor

Socket: SOCKET 0

Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1246 v3 @ 3.50GHz

Intel® Active Management Technology firmware version: 9.1.1-build 1000

Thanks in advance,

Christian

5 Replies
David_A_Intel

In order to better assist you with your inquiry I have moved your question /community/itpeernetwork/vproexpert here.

0 Kudos
UBaco
Beginner

I happen to have the exact same setup with the exact same symptoms, just wondering since there has been no response, if you have had any luck at all?

0 Kudos
JNola2
Beginner

I am having this same problem. I have tried all three VNC clients through the MDT, all show a black screen. I am able to control the mouse and type through vnc, but the screen shows black. Same disconnecting behavior as well.

Webinterface shows:

Platform

Computer model: MS-7830

Manufacturer: MSI

Baseboard

Manufacturer: MSI

Product name: CSM-Q87M-E43 (MS-7830)

BIOS

Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.

Version: V10.5

Release date: 04/01/2015

Processor 1

Manufacturer: Intel

Family: Intel® Core™ i7 Processor

Socket: SOCKET 0

Version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz

Intel® Active Management Technology firmware version: 9.0.30-build 1482

0 Kudos
MAlle7
Beginner

Hey there!

could u solve this?

Ihave the exact same problem, not getting any further :/

greetings mentario

0 Kudos
Dariusz_W_Intel
Employee

Please check Board/system OEM support website for BIOS updates and Intel ME FW updates.

See similar problem discussion at /thread/95559 https://communities.intel.com/thread/95559

0 Kudos