Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Core i5-7200U Memory Type Compatibility

shivachi_terry

hello guys, new member here.. 

am using core-i5 7200U on my notebook and going through specs i noticed that the graphics video max memory is 32GB. 

now, my question is, which type of memory would that be?

under the memory specifications (not graphics memory), it says it uses DDR4, LPDDR3 and DDR3L types of memory, but i take that to be just the system RAM, and not video RAM (for graphics cards)

can this processor be compatible with graphics card with DDR5 memory type and above? any help will be appreciated..

0 Kudos
12 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. This processor is equipped with Intel HD Graphics 620 and uses part of the computer RAM for graphics. The size of the RAM assigned for graphics is controlled in real time by O.S. and Intel Graphics Driver. More explanation, please read here.
  2. "can this processor be compatible with graphics card with DDR5 memory type and above? " you should look in your notebook specifications and support. This depends on the motherboard capabilities.

Leon

0 Kudos
shivachi_terry

hello @LWAKSMAN​ 

thank you for the response..

skipping to point 2 in your answer, does this mean that it depends on the motherboard's capabilities for a processor to be able to support memory types other than its specified ones? because i am trying to get a card like AMD FirePro W9100 (32GB DDR5)

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

The i5 7200U is not using the memory installed on Graphics Adapter. The Graphics Adapter has his own CPU and memory. So, if the Graphics Adapter is compatible with your notebook (confirmed by some user or notebook manufacturer or AMD), you should not worry about the memory type used on this adapter.

Leon

0 Kudos
shivachi_terry

at this point i am completely off...

look, for my processor, can i get a graphics card that is of different memory type, or will that depend on the mainboard's capability to support other memory types than those of my processor?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Only the GPU installed on AMD FirePro W9100 (32GB DDR5) should be compatible with his own memory (DDR5). So, your question related to memory compatibility is wrong. That what I tried to say in my previous post.
  2. See the list of 2982 motherboards, compatible with AMD FirePro W9100 (32GB DDR5)
  3. See the list of CPU compatible with AMD FirePro W9100 (32GB DDR5). Your 7th generation CPU is included in this list.
  4. However I have to emphasize that all your notebook should be compatible (including PSU and cooling capabilities). So, best advice is ask in notebook manufacturer support.

Leon

0 Kudos
shivachi_terry

well, from the links you've provided it seems my notebook is at all not compatible with that card (from CPU to motherboard)

i'll have to think of another..

i think i'll just get a graphics card with DDR4 memory type, with VRAM of something like 8 GB

but thank you all the same

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, if you have a laptop/notebook, its graphics capabilities are what they are; you cannot upgrade them. Reiterating the points: the Intel HD Graphics engine is built into the processor and shares its controllers for accessing main memory (which is *very* rare to be anything other than DDR4). At the Windows 10 driver level, memory will be allocated and deallocated based upon the needs of the applications being run. Up to 50% of the system's available memory can be allocated for graphics support. Really, the only thing that you can do to improve performance is include more memory in the system.

Now, there are folks that assert that this dynamic allocation and deallocation of memory has a cost and that this cost is significant enough to affect performance. There are some articles around that detail how you can create/edit parameters in the Windows Registry and increase the amount of memory that is permanently dedicated at driver initialization time. Note that this is the only guaranteed way to do this; changing the BIOS configuration is often ineffective because the BIOS uses these parameters only during POST and it's reservations do not get passed to the O/S.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
shivachi_terry

hello @n.scott.pearson​ .. thank you for coming in

i am using AMD R5 M430 in my notebook and that is all i want to change, even if i'll have to use an external GPU. from your response, i think you're trying to explain to me about the system RAM being shared between the AMD GPU and that of the Intel HD Graphics, but my intention is not to change either the mainboard or the i5 processor that came with my notebook. i believe they are just okay

1. i have been trying to know whether my i5 processor can support any other type of memory other than those of its specifications and am thinking i'll just remain at DDR4 memory for either the new GPU i'll buy or the RAM modules (since my motherboard only supports up to 16 GB of RAM)
  2. anyway, i will keep exploring to know whether my mainboard can support DDR5 memory type since most GPU worth 8 GB VRAM are of that memory type, so this time i'll keep my focus on my mainboard, whereas i will maintain at DDR4 memory when it comes to my Core-i5
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, I was trying to explain how the Intel HD Graphics engine uses standard system DRAM as VRAM. [Aside: In fact, however, if your processor has one of the Intel Iris Plus graphics engines, there is also 64MB/128GB of dedicated eDRAM implemented within the processor.]

The design of the motherboard and MRC code in the BIOS will determine whether the processor gets DDR3, DDR3L or DDR4 DRAM. Just about every design being done these days is DDR4, however.

If your AMD graphics solution is replaceable, I would think that the replacement module would provide the VRAM. Now, understand that the VRAM they are talking about is GDDR5, not DDR5 (there is, in fact, no DDR5 quite yet).

...S

0 Kudos
shivachi_terry

thanks a lot man, and yes, my processor has only 128MB of DRAM implemented in it, quite disappointing but since i want to switch to using AMD graphics, i think that won't matter much and the only thing that would be considerable is just upgrading my RAM, to that maximum of 16 GB

furthermore, i just came across an article that says a mainboard supporting DDR4 memory can also support a GDDR5 graphics card (as well as GDDR5X), so maybe i can at least acquire a graphics card of such memory type since there is none satisfactory with DDR4 memory..

on the other hand, i will stick to DDR4 memory for the RAM modules, now that i cannot confuse between graphics card memory and system memory (which the Intel graphics seem to be using)

i hope my answer asserts your explanation

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @shivachi_terry​ ,

1. You didn't understand what I tried to explain you and Scott's explanation neither.
  2. The GPU is not using common memory with the CPU. However, the CPU you have is equipped with Intel HD Graphics 620 and uses part of the computer RAM for graphics (if the integrated graphics is activated).
  3. Since you have installed an entry level graphics card/chip AMD R5 M430, this adapter uses his own on board installed RAM 4GB DDR3. That is how the graphics adapter works. It is separate processing unit, with its own processor and memory.
  4. I hope that you understand now that your laptop CPU i5 7200U is not sharing RAM with the Graphics Adapter. It is wast of your time to exploring if your mainboard supports DDR5 RAM - first it is not and secondly it is not relevant to Graphics Adapter compatibility with your laptop.
  5. I don't know your laptop, however usually in laptop, the Graphics Adapter can't be upgraded, since it is soldered to the motherboard. If you have Thunderbolt interface you may consider to use an external GPU unit or, buy new laptop.

Leon

0 Kudos
shivachi_terry

hello Leon,

1. from point 2 and 3, i think i now get it that the GPU and the CPU use separate memory, where the i5 uses part of the system RAM while the R5 uses its own memory (the mentioned 4GB DDR3), thus they are not related
  2. from point 4, i again say that i now understand that my i5 does not share memory with my GPU (which i think is the only one working with the Graphics Adapter you have mentioned). on the other hand, i have seen that a DDR4 mainboard can support a graphics card of DDR5, GDDR5 and GDDR5X memory type, the only drawback being how to connect this card to my motherboard (answering point 5)

i hope this response asserts your explanation..