Items with no label
3335 Discussions

I have two NUC's that have been working flawlessly. One NUC5i7RYH and NUC7i7BNH. But the setup screens are different sizes. Both have the same monitors with 1920x1080 resolution. The 5th generation setup screen is like half size. Why?

gerald46
Beginner

The 7th generation is full screen.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Probably the bios is set to look at 1024 x 768. You likely cannot change this.

Doc

DHoga2
Valued Contributor II

Just to echo what Al said: Long ago many NUC wanted to start up in a traditional computer monitor resolution like 1024x768, but people connected to HDMI TVs would often report trouble. I guess it got hard trying to support that and perhaps less TVs were released with support of such resolutions, because at some point NUC started keeping the HDMI in a higher resolution and putting that 1024x768 into smaller size in the middle of the screen. Seems to result in less complaints, and not having to discuss details of whether TV does EDID on only one of its ports, etc.

gerald46
Beginner

Thanks for the replies. After reading Al's reply, I researched and found issues using TV's mentioned. In fact the 5th generation NUC was on a TV with lower resolution in 2015 running Windows 7. I recall the setup screen was larger. I've since installed Linux on our systems and bought two computer monitors at 1080x1920, one for the newer 7th generation NUC and one for the 5th generation. So, I never noticed the setup screen on the new computer monitor because I had no reason to be in it. The 7th generation is full screen at 1080x1920. Many of the reviews I've watched had full screen setup including the 5th generation. So I guess it depends on when they were built.

My Intel Z77 box that I built in 2013 had a Nvidia graphics adapter that "letter boxed" the setup screen. But the onboard graphics did not. I replaced the adapter with a newer model and its now full screen. All three are running either Arch or Debian derivatives without any issues.

0 Kudos