Items with no label
3335 Discussions

SR300 usb-disconnects when camera turns active - unusable

MMark14
Novice

I have a SR300 camera and have major problem with is. When an application is activating the camera, the led gives one little blink and the camera disconnects itself. I hear the windows USB-disconnect sound which is followed by the USB connect sound.

Every application I try gives the same result.

This problem did occur the last week sometimes. With a couple of tries it did work, but now I never got it working anymore. I tried everything:

Install intel_rs_dcm_sr300_3.3.27.5718

install intel_rs_dcm_sr300_3.2.26.6137

intel_rs_sdk_offline_package_10.0.26.0396

I even completely re-installed my laptop because I thought it has something to do with a windows update.

Tried every usb3 port. Reinstalled everything a thousand times.

This Video demonstrates the problem :

What could this be ? Can anybody help out ? This is driving me nuts ...

Hardware: Razer Blade 2016 refresh

Windows: Windows 10 Pro

0 Kudos
44 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi ipas,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel Realsense Platform.

I'm sorry to hear that your camera is not working now. Before we start suggesting any possible solution I will like for you to provide me your system information file. To generate it, please press on your keyboard WinLogo + r, then enter msinfo32, then click on File >> Export. This process might take some minutes, once you have generated that file please send it to us in your next reply.

Also could you use the sdk_info.exe to record the logs using an SDK sample? In order to do it after you install the SDK, go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\RSSDK\bin\x64\", run SDK_Info.exe as an Administrator, navigate to the Logging Tab and Click "Enable All Logs" button. Reproduce the issue by running the app that is causing the failure (make sure not to close sdk_info, it can be minimized, closing sdk_info will stop the logging). After the failure has occurred return to SDK_Info and click "Copy all Logs" button (in sdk_info logging tab), zip the created directory and attach it to your next reply.

I will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose.
0 Kudos
MMark14
Novice

Here I send you the requested information of the SDK debug logs: Here is the http://hq.ipas.nl/unsorted/rssdk_logs.zip link to download

and the export of msinfo32. I anonymised it a bit: http://hq.ipas.nl/unsorted/msinfo32export.zip link to download the export

First I ran the Camera Explorer: Clicking on the SR300 camera it open the camera (front) with the message: ERROR: Device failed due to malfunction

Second I ran the blob viewer application.

My laptop is equiped with 3xUSB3 ports and 1xUSB-C/Thunderbold3 port. I bougth a USB-C to USB-micro-B cable and tested on the USB-C port with the same results .

I have posted a video (above) to demonstrate the problem.

Please let me know what I can do.

0 Kudos
ABand1
Beginner

Hi there,

I got exactly the same problem. When running CameraExplorer I get: "ERROR Device failed due to malfunctioning" and USB disconnection sound. Same problem with other samples of the SDK. I have two SR300 cameras and with both of them I obtain the same results. I've read that maybe this is due to a power issue and somebody fixed it with a powered USB 3.0 hub. However, I'd like to know what is the problem before to buy an external hub.

These are the specs of the laptop: Dell Inspiron 7779, RAM 16 GB, Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit, Intel Core i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70 GHz

I also tried on another laptop that doesn't meet the CPU requirement suggested for the SR300. In that case the SR300 works without any problem...that's why I'm a little bit confused. Here the specs of the other laptop I used for test: ASUS Zenbook UX51VZ, RAM 8GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel Core i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz

However, I have to fix the problem with the Dell Inspiron. Hope you can help me!

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
MMark14
Novice

That's funny.. I also figured I must have something to do with the power so today I bought this powered USB 3.0 hub:

https://www.sitecom.com/en/usb-30-fast-charging-hub-4-port/cn-085/p/1725 Sitecom - CN-085 - USB 3.0 Fast Charging Hub 4 Port

Sometimes with the hub the camera is working, but most of the time it is not. I cannot figure out when is does work and when it is not. It is a step into the right direction but certainly not the solution.

The problem exist only when the depth camera and laser is activated. When only the RGB camera is activated the camera does not disconnect.

0 Kudos
ABand1
Beginner

Hi,

I did another test. I connected the SR300 with a USB3.0 cable shorter than the one provided with the camera. The camera seems to work for longer periods: sometimes it streams Color and Depth images for several seconds before to be disconnected by itself. Moreover, if I run the RawStreams app with just the Depth stream, it works for several minutes without any problem.

Is this information useful?

Thanks

0 Kudos
MMark14
Novice

Yeah. same results here. RGB, IR and depth are working. I think the problem is related to a power-peak when starting the RGB, IR and depth at the same time.

I tried another cable with the same length ( the one of the hub ) without using the powered hub and 10% of the times the camera seems to work.

0 Kudos
MMark14
Novice

OK, it seems I managed to have a rather working config now with all the component I have bought.

With the original USB-A to USB-microB cable of the camera I have zero results (anymore)

With just the USB-A to USB microB cable of the hub I have a 20% result

With the USB-C to USB-microB cable I have zero results.

With the powered USB hub with the original cable of the camera I have a 10% result.

But...

With the USB-C to USB-MicroB cable to the powered hub and the USB-A to USB-MicroB cable of the hub used for the camera it seems stable now.

So my conclusion is that the cable quality and possible length is of any influence to the result. A powered hub also. In my case I have invested 70 euro into the cable/hub. I think an extra high quality very short USB-A to USB-microB cable in combination with a powered hub will do the trick.

I hope you intel guys could reply to this ?

0 Kudos
ABand1
Beginner

Hi,

I've tried with the powered Hub, but the result doesn't change. Did you get any reply by the Intel?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi guys,

I apologize for the late reply.

Now looking at all the information that you provided I will like to suggest you to uninstall the DCM and restart your computer. Then plug in the camera to a powered USB 3.0 port and wait several minutes while monitoring Device Manager, until Windows Update starts and installs the drivers. If this doesn't work can you reinstall the chipset drivers (which should include USB drivers).

ipas regarding your several tests with the USB hub, thanks for your feedback I will communicate this to the department in charge and let you know any updates. We appreciate all the information you have given us, since it might be useful for other users.

Best Regards,

-Jose.
0 Kudos
SKumb1
Beginner

Hello Sir,

I uninstall the DCM and restart the PC. Then I plug in the camera to powered USB 3.0 port and after several minuets the Windows Update starts and install the drivers.

but still the problem persist.

Also I upgrade the chipset drivers but the problem remains same.

I've tried with the "Storite USB 3.0 Dual Power Y Shape 2x Type A to Micro B SuperSpeed cable", but the result doesn't change.

Please provide me the proper guidance to start my camera.

0 Kudos
MMark14
Novice

My conclusion is that the problem is not software/driver related. I tried Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Pro. I tried all combinations, installations of chips etc.

My laptop is brand new. A couple of weeks ago the camera worked flawlessly. Then problem occured sometimes and now toe problem is there all the time.

My first thought was the windows update. After all combination I restored my laptop top factory-default because I was knew the camera worked with that configuration.

But it did not... so I guess the power of my laptop had degraded over the last couple of weeks.

I think some laptops cannot handle the power peak the camera is consuming at start up. Maybe a future firmware can stage the startup of the RGB, depth and IR consumption.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi guys,

I'm sorry to hear that my suggestion didn't work.

shyam_quadtech could you provide this information: (/message/440280# 440280 https://communities.intel.com/message/440280# 440280).

ipas thanks for your feedback I will keep you updated with any results regarding your case.

We will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi shyam_quadtech,

I see that you posted your information on a different thread .

We will continue providing you assistance through this thread.

Best Regards,

-Jose.
0 Kudos
SKumb1
Beginner

Hello Sir,

Thanks for your reply. I am waiting for your valuable response.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi shyam_quadtech,

We are still investigating your issue, as soon as we have some useful information we will contact you back.

We appreciate your patience.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose.
0 Kudos
ABand1
Beginner

Hi there,

I've tried the suggested procedure: "uninstall the DCM and restart your computer. Then plug in the camera to a powered USB 3.0 port and wait several minutes while monitoring Device Manager, until Windows Update starts and installs the drivers. If this doesn't work can you reinstall the chipset drivers (which should include USB drivers)."

In the first case (reinstall DCM) nothing has changed, but after I reinstalled the chipset drivers, my SR300 works....but only if connected to a powered USB hub.

So, what's your opinion? Is there any way to fix this problem even without the external hub?

Thanks again!

Andrea

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi guys,

I appreciate your patience.

Seems like your issue is related to a connectivity problem, could you please try to connect the camera directly to a powered USB 3.0 port (look for the lightning symbol) on the PC. Also please use the provided cable that came with your camera.

We will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi guys,

Where you able to try my suggestion? Please let me know in order to assist you.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Got this same problem with my SR300. When connected to the normal USB 3.0 ports, the Camera Explorer as well as the RawStreams.cpp SDK sample app rarely work. However, connecting the device directly to the high-powered USB 3.0 port (with the lightning symbol) resolves the issue, at least for the above-mentioned two apps. Haven't checked the others.

Thanks for the help Jose.

Cheers,

Samir

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SamirDunai,

I'm glad to hear that my suggestion worked! If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose.
0 Kudos