Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Who knows a good replacement for the Intel PRO Wireless 3945ABG network Connection card that is faster and works with Windows 10

GDien
Beginner

I am busy to update an old notebook that has an Intel PRO Wireless 3945ABG network Connection card that is broken. I am now looking for a replacement that is faster and also works with Windows 10 (32 bit). It should be with a mini Card PCI adapter and have 2 antennas.

I added a picture of the current card. Any help is appreciated

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In the mini-PCIe form factor, the best you are going to find from intel is the Intel 7260.HMW Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Network Adapter, which is capable of 802.11ac at 867 Mbps. I would add that you should check with the laptop manufacturer to see whether there are any restrictions on the module that can be used.

...S

0 Kudos
GDien
Beginner

Thanks for the answer. The. Intel 7260.HMW Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 has a form factor of 26x30 where as mine a has longer form factor (53x30)

I don't want to start tweaking to make it working. It should be plug and play.

Any other suggestion with this form factor? I will also check with the laptop manufacturer which is Fujitsi Siemens.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Subsequent cards could be smaller because of better component integration. The 7260 is compatible with the connector that you have. The issue is the screw mounting posts for the card. You should be able to move these posts to handle shorter cards. I cannot tell if this is supported using your first picture. Please remove the card from the connector and take a picture showing what is under the card (there should be holes for the mounting posts for shorter cards if this is supported).

If moving the posts is not supported, you may have to look at non-Intel replacement cards.

...S

0 Kudos
GDien
Beginner

I removed the card but unfortunately there are no mounting post to handle shorter cards. I came upon this list that also mentions the 7260 card that you advised

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/intel-wifi-adapter-information-guide.pdf

I will see if one of these have a larger form factor. So one step further but not yet there. :)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I noticed an adapter for using M.2 cards in these miniPCIe (M.1) sockets. It appears to be the same length as your old card. Provided its height is not too much for your laptop's chassis, you could upgrade all the way to WiFi 6 and Wireless-AX (the M.2 AX200 card). You would combine this adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Deal4GO-Express-Adapter-Converter-DW1820/dp/B07PJ453LC with this WiFi card: https://www.amazon.com/Next-Gen-Network-ax200ngw-802-11ax-Miracast/dp/B082X6Z2M7. Now, as I said earlier, I have no idea if there is anything about your laptop that would prevent these from being used. I do know that the page for this adapter indicates that it will not work in Lenovo or HP laptops.

Hope (but not sure) this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Oops, didn't answer your question. No, none of the better miniPCIe cards are available in this longer form factor.

...S

0 Kudos
GDien
Beginner

I bought the Intel 5100 WIFI series on Alie Express. It's worth trying. I read that it worked with W10. If not I can try to install W8 and see if that works.

Now I have to wait and then try. Thanks again for the help

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's still a pretty ancient card. Still, your laptop is almost to the age (if not beyond) at which this industry calls it ancient too.

Let me know how it goes...

...S

0 Kudos
GDien
Beginner

Hello N,

G

I got my 5100 Intel wifi card and swapped it with the broken one. Guess what, it just worked.

W10 didn't even bother me with 'Found new hardware'. It just installed the drivers and I could

simply connect to our wifi. I also notoiced that the connection was ok. With tablets/mobile

I noticed sometimes connection problems due to poor signal, but it looks like the antenna

of notebooks is just better.

Anyway, thanks for your help and I am happy it has been solved.

Regards

Guus

0 Kudos