Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

100% when using sample on CentOS

Andrew_B_2
Beginner

I am using i7-4500U with 2015R4 and testing decode on a CentOS 7 system.  I am using the sample_decode_x11 test application and I am getting 100% CPU utilization for the process when running the following:

./sample_decode_x11 h264 -i ~/Videos/big.h264 -r 
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: User requested driver 'iHD'
libva info: Trying to open /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Decoding Sample Version 0.0.000.0000

Input video	AVC 
Output format	YUV420
Resolution	1920x1088
Crop X,Y,W,H	0,0,0,0
Frame rate	0.00
Memory type		d3d
MediaSDK impl		hw
MediaSDK version	1.14

Is this supposed to happen?  I had thought the render wouldn't impact on the performance but it looks like it is.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hi Andrew,

Since you are working on Linux - can you run the _drm binaries instead of _x11? To measure the encode/decode performance on Linux, we recommend using _drm binaries, the _x11 are not optimized and are not intended to be run in the render mode (-r mode). Try this command line: ./sample_decode_drm h264 -i ~/Videos/big.h264

For monitoring GPU occupancy, we have metrics monitor tool (found in /opt/intel/mediasdk/tools/) that can give you the GPU occupancy statistics. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Andrew_B_2
Beginner

OK - yes the DRM samples do work much better.  One thing if I run:

./sample_decode_drm h264 -i ~/Videos/big.h264

It fails with:

libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: User requested driver 'iHD'
libva info: Trying to open /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Decoding Sample Version 0.0.000.0000

Input video	AVC 
Output format	YUV420
Resolution	1920x1088
Crop X,Y,W,H	0,0,0,0
Frame rate	0.00
Memory type		system
MediaSDK impl		hw
MediaSDK version	1.14

Decoding started
Frame number:    0, fps: 0.000, fread_fps: 0.000, fwrite_fps: 0.000
Return on error: error code -1,	/home/andy/Downloads/MediaSamples_Linux_5.0.1604371.71/samples/sample_decode/src/pipeline_decode.cpp	1263

Return on error: error code 1,	/home/andy/Downloads/MediaSamples_Linux_5.0.1604371.71/samples/sample_decode/src/sample_decode.cpp	398

However if I run the below it works:

./sample_decode_drm h264 -i ~/Videos/big.h264 -r

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

That is not expected. Few comments - I see you are using quite old version of the samples package, and we have more updated version on the webpage now. Can you please update and let me know if you see this error? Unfortunately, the line number reported here and the error reported do not give any insights into the issue itself - our error reporting is not intuitive enough to understand the error. In this case, "-1" refers to unknown error - we are working to improve the documentation on the error reporting in our samples.

(Also, I am assuming are you running the samples as root (not sudo, but as root))?

0 Kudos
Andrew_B_2
Beginner

Thanks, I will update the sample and recompile.  Could you tell me the link to use so that I don't download something I shouldn't?

No, I am running as my user and not using sudo nor root.

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Here is the link for the samples download:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio-support/code-samples

Also, please run as root and let me know what you see.

0 Kudos