Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

4K x 4K H265 video Kaby Lake

David_G_1
Beginner

What's the best way to decode an H265 video of 4K x 4K on Kaby Lake using Media SDK?

I don't think it can do it in a single stream.  What's the largest size you can decode in one stream?  Can we decode several streams at once or can we do it in stages?   I'd like to do it in the most performant way.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

I'm assuming you are running Media SDK for Windows.  Kaby Lake is not supported for Linux.

H265 decode should be fine with 4K x. 4K.  Maximum resolution for H265 decode is 8192x8192. 

It can be more efficient to work with multiple streams at once.  This is true for decode, encode, or VPP.  Multiple streams in parallel gives more opportunities to keep the hardware busy. 

You can use sample_decode to model the performance you can expect on your system.  Test decode with video memory but no output to see the FPS capacity of your decode hardware.

0 Kudos
Garrick_K_
Beginner

Is support for Kaby Lake planned for Linux? Coffee Lake? We were expecting 2017 R3 release to have support for Kaby Lake on Linux.

Thanks.

0 Kudos