Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

8K H264 decode on Skylake?

celli4
New Contributor I

Ok, somebody has to ask crazy questions around here, and I guess that has to be me.

It looks like Haswell will decode 8K H264 bitstreams, but with the MFX_WRN_PARTIAL_ACCELERATION, warnings, and quite possibly all in software. Meaning there is a Huge performance drop relative to decoding 4K. [in terms of output pixels/persec or output GB/sec, not FPS]

[I get about 250fps decoding 4K H.264 with Haswell, but about 12fps decoding 8K H.264 with Haswell]

Can Skylake decode H.264 8K (7680x4320) without MFX_WRN_PARTIAL_ACCELERATION?

Cam

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Cameron, 

Currently, SKL doesn't provide support for H264 8k decoding and is limited to 4K decoding. On SKL, H265 provide support for 8K decoding.

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
celli4
New Contributor I

Is there support for 8K encoding on SKL?

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

No support for 8K AVC encode and for 8K HEVC I have to consult experts here, will post as soon as I hear anything about it. 

0 Kudos
celli4
New Contributor I
Very interested to hear about 8K HEVC possibility on SKL
0 Kudos
celli4
New Contributor I

Surbhi,

Did you hear anything back about 8K HEVC encoding on SKL?

Thanks in advance, Cameron

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi again,

8K HEVC encoding is not available on SKL due to hardware design. Also, any of the above information is applicable to Media SDK Client and not to Media Server Studio. Media Server Studio plans on SKL will be officially released in sometime. Stay tuned! 

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos