Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

AC3 audio and WPF native please?

ChicagoBob
Beginner
Tried to play an mpg file with AC3 audio in it and no sound and jerky playback while non ac3 encoded file played fine.
The VLC played these just fine. Would appreciate some feedback on this.

One more request. WPF Native
Is there any chance that you can make this native a WPF control?
I can bring it in as a non native window but then can not have any WPF semi transparent
panels overlay.

WPF needs a shot in the arm anyway and bringing powerful lib would really help
so from a political perspective you might get someone from Microsoft to help.

I ask because you can easily design and create very cool players/and transcoding interfaces in WPF
much much faster than you can in C# and C++.

So for modern interface design with overlays and controls WPF is way cooler.

Those are my requests and report.
Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Bob,

Sample_dshow doesn't support AC3 audio (please see \samples\sample_dshow\readme-dshow-app.rtf for a list of supported input/output formats). Media SDK is a library focused on video decoding and encoding. DirectShow filters are provided as sample code showing how to build framework component which use MSDK API. Audio decoders/encoders, splitters and muxers are provided for the sake of usability of decoding and encoding filters. So only a limited set of formats is supported and AC3 is not among them.

Regarding WPF - should be possible to use MSDK in a WPF based app. The WPF Media Kit project (referred to in your thread on MS forum) seems to have done a lot in the direction of connecting WPF with MS Media Frameworks. As far as I understood their implementation allows to use DS and MF plugins from a WPF app.

Media SDK includes framework components: DirectShow and MediaFoundation plugins as sample source code. So maybe you could try going this way.
Great thanks for sharing your ideas. A sample having a WPF UI and using MSDK would be something really cool. We will consider this as a possible future direction.

Regards,
Nina

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Bob,
Could you please specify which of the sample applications you use to play back the mentioned file?
As for WPF related suggestions, is my guess correct - you are talking about one of the GUI sample applications of Media SDK, right?
Thanks,
Nina
0 Kudos
ChicagoBob
Beginner
>>Could you please specify which of the sample applications you use to play back the mentioned file?

sample_dshow.exe failed while VLC or if I rename the file from VOB to MPG media player works as well.
Anything with AC3 doesnt seem to work.

WPF is the MS rich user interface. Here is my post at the MS site.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpf/thread/a0879b9e-8e53-49ed-bca0-cd770f9a305c

And yes it would be fantastic to see a GUI sample applications of Media SDK.

0 Kudos
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Bob,

Sample_dshow doesn't support AC3 audio (please see \samples\sample_dshow\readme-dshow-app.rtf for a list of supported input/output formats). Media SDK is a library focused on video decoding and encoding. DirectShow filters are provided as sample code showing how to build framework component which use MSDK API. Audio decoders/encoders, splitters and muxers are provided for the sake of usability of decoding and encoding filters. So only a limited set of formats is supported and AC3 is not among them.

Regarding WPF - should be possible to use MSDK in a WPF based app. The WPF Media Kit project (referred to in your thread on MS forum) seems to have done a lot in the direction of connecting WPF with MS Media Frameworks. As far as I understood their implementation allows to use DS and MF plugins from a WPF app.

Media SDK includes framework components: DirectShow and MediaFoundation plugins as sample source code. So maybe you could try going this way.
Great thanks for sharing your ideas. A sample having a WPF UI and using MSDK would be something really cool. We will consider this as a possible future direction.

Regards,
Nina
0 Kudos