Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3056 Discussions

ARC QSV AV1 encoding; should it always output in PTS order?

oviano
Novice

I logged this bug in FFmpeg:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/10062

To help me better understand whether it's an FFmpeg issue or a QSV/oneVPL issue, I would like to know if when encoding with AV1, with non zero B-Frames (GopRefDist > 1) is it expected that the output of the encode can be DTS order, with PTS jumping back and forward? The above bug report shows what I mean.

It's just that FFmpeg doesn't expect this from AV1, and as a safety-check it sets DTS to PTS somewhere in the processing chain after encoding a frame, which then produces a ton of warnings further on in the chain because the DTS is no longer non-monotonous. The output is also jerky as the frames are clearly out of order/incorrectly stamped.

The developers of Handbrake appear to have come across a similar issue, and someone suggested it's an issue with the ARC driver and a fix will be forthcoming:

https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues/4570

Can anyone clarify if that is the case, as I've not seen reference to the issue here.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RemyaP_Intel

Hi,

Windows driver updates happen on their own schedule and are deliberately not tied to VPL releases. There can be a delay of several weeks between when a fix is merged to the driver/RT repo and when it is available in a public Windows release.

We can usually say in situations like this, just keep watching the downloadcenter for driver version updates. Just to set expectations there is a good chance that the public release won't be available on the downloadcenter before January.

Regards,

Remya Premdas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RemyaP_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

Could you please share the below information to help you:

OS version and processor details 

OneVPL version.

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos
oviano
Novice

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Intel i7-12700K

OneVPL 2022.2.5 release

So after further research it appears to be a bug in your driver (see below) that you already fixed back in April but haven't yet released. Is there any chance you could release this fix in the next Windows driver release so that we can make full use of the ARC AV1 encoding capabilities? This might avoid the next person like me wasting time trawling the Internet for solutions....only to find it's already been covered, just not yet released

https://github.com/oneapi-src/oneVPL-intel-gpu/issues/206

0 Kudos
RemyaP_Intel

Hi,

Windows driver updates happen on their own schedule and are deliberately not tied to VPL releases. There can be a delay of several weeks between when a fix is merged to the driver/RT repo and when it is available in a public Windows release.

We can usually say in situations like this, just keep watching the downloadcenter for driver version updates. Just to set expectations there is a good chance that the public release won't be available on the downloadcenter before January.

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos
RemyaP_Intel

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you. Did we clarify your query? If yes, can we go ahead and close this case?

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos
RemyaP_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos