Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

AVC 4:2:2 decode support

Silviu_B
Beginner

Is Media SDK going to support decoding 10-bit 4:2:2 video in the H264 decoder? I have a video file in which chroma_format_idc is set to 2. 

DecodeHeader marks the video format as P210, but MFXVideoDECODE_Query return MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED (-3) for this file. I noticed other posts asking about support for decoding 4:2:2 video and the answer for that was "we plan do support this in the future". But I am guessing this is not supported for MPEG2, H264 or H265 (HEVC).

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Silviu_B
Beginner

Turns out the H264 decoder cannot decode 10-bit 4:2:0 video either. So it looks like H264 decoder cannot decode any 10-bit video.

I noticed that the HEVC decoder can decode 10-bit video. Are there plans to support 10-bit decode in the H264 decoder as well?

0 Kudos
koby_s_
Beginner

Hi Silviu

I also tried to use the decoder for 10 bit 4:2:2 sources without any success.
I found in the release notes that 10 bit decoding is supported only when using software decoding (no hardware support due to hw limitations)
I can confirm that 10 bit 4:2:0 is working fine with software decoder.
I failed to decode 4:2:2 sources when using opaque surfaces but it works when using external memory allocator.

Can you please upload a short sample of your 10 bit 4:2:2 source?

All the best 
Koby

0 Kudos
Stav_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Silviu, 

As koby mentioned in the release notes it is noted that 10 bit decoding is not supported in some HW. 

You did not mention what kind of CPU you are trying to run this on- could you provide details about the system and MSDK version? 

Regards,

Stav

0 Kudos
Artem_S_Intel
Employee

Decoding 422 format is not supported by current HW neither H264, nor H265, mpeg2, there is support for 422 10 decoding in HEVC SW decoder and AVC 422 10 bit decoder. Also on windows 7th generation Core support HW acceleration 10 bit 420 HEVC and 6th generation platforms support hybrid HEVC 10 420 decoding(means will utilize GPGPU capabilities instead of fixed function)

0 Kudos
Masaharu_K_
Beginner

I tried 10 bit 4: 2: 2 video with the H264 SW decoder.

I executed it as follows,

sample_decode.exe h264 -sw -i "10bit_high422.264" -o "10bit_high422.yuv"

but MFXVideoDecode_Init return MFX_INVALID_VIDEO_PARAM(-14)

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,

Masaharu

0 Kudos