Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

AVC IDR Frame Quality

Walton__Daniel
Beginner

Hi,

I'm encoding video using the AVC codec with mfx.IdrInterval = 1 so that all I-Frames are IDR Frames.  When the video is played, it appears that the quality drops (it gets blocky) at each IDR frame, then slowly improves as the P-Frames come in reaching nearly perfect quality before the next IDR frame where the quality drops again.  Is there a setting to improve the quality of IDR frames?  Note: changing the bitrate settings does not change anything.  The overall quality increases, but it still appears that the IDR frames have a drop in quality over the previous frame.

Here is my initialization code:

memset(m_mfxEncParams, 0, sizeof(mfxVideoParam));
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.CodecId = MFX_CODEC_AVC;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.TargetUsage = MFX_TARGETUSAGE_BEST_QUALITY;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.TargetKbps = 1500;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.MaxKbps = 1500;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.RateControlMethod = MFX_RATECONTROL_VBR;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.FrameInfo.FrameRateExtN = 30;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.FrameInfo.FrameRateExtD = 1;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.CodecProfile =  MFX_PROFILE_AVC_BASELINE;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.CodecLevel = MFX_LEVEL_AVC_4;

m_mfxEncParams->IOPattern = MFX_IOPATTERN_IN_SYSTEM_MEMORY;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.FrameInfo.FourCC = MFX_FOURCC_NV12;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.FrameInfo.ChromaFormat = MFX_CHROMAFORMAT_YUV420;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.FrameInfo.PicStruct = MFX_PICSTRUCT_PROGRESSIVE;

m_mfxEncParams->mfx.FrameInfo.Width = 1920;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.FrameInfo.Height = 1080;

m_mfxEncParams->mfx.FrameInfo.CropX = 0;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.FrameInfo.CropY = 0;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.FrameInfo.CropW = 1920;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.FrameInfo.CropH = 1080;

m_mfxEncParams->mfx.GopPicSize = 30;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.IdrInterval = 1;

m_mfxEncParams->AsyncDepth = 1;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.GopRefDist = 1;
m_mfxEncParams->mfx.NumRefFrame = 1;

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the late response.

I would concern on your reference frame, it looks like point to a wrong position. So first you should check if this is the problem of your mfx structure settings, did you check the same setting with sample_encode and dump the setting value to compare with yours?

By the way, to set each I frame to be IDR, idrinterval should be 0 according to the spec:

https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/MediaSDK/blob/master/doc/mediasdk-man.md#mfxinfomfx

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the late response.

I would concern on your reference frame, it looks like point to a wrong position. So first you should check if this is the problem of your mfx structure settings, did you check the same setting with sample_encode and dump the setting value to compare with yours?

By the way, to set each I frame to be IDR, idrinterval should be 0 according to the spec:

https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/MediaSDK/blob/master/doc/mediasdk-man.md#mfxinfomfx

Mark

0 Kudos