Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Actual sample_decode.exe painfully slow

SDeut
Beginner

I upgraded my Media SDK samples from old version (5.0.461.91752) to current version (5.0.491.98719) because of some trouble with Win8.1.

Now I do experience in render mode a limitation to ca. 60 fps, old sample could decode 300 fps and more. So any performance measurement is impossible now. (tried on HD 2500, HD 5500, Win7, Win8.1)

What is wrong with the new sample decoder?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

The rendering method use to present to a windows in Windows 8.1 is limited by the monitor's framerate (60Hz).  This is the case for any D3D application and is intentional for Microsoft desktop rendering model.  Decoding rate is much faster, as you can see by removing the "-r" option

0 Kudos
SDeut
Beginner

Thank you for fast answer. So the -r option is finally pretty useless, the decoder run as fast as possible (faster than the movie framerate) but clipped at 60Hz (e.g.) monitor rate?

Is there a chance to decode fast with rendering? Maybe the vertical sync can be switched off in Intel HD driver settings?

0 Kudos