Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

Anticipated direction info for Media SDK 2015 for Linux Servers

Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

In the spirit of open communication, we've assembled current plans for our 2015 Linux product. This includes some changes in supported Linux distributions and hardware.  

For more information please see the article below:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-mediasdk-supported-versions-server

Any feedback you may have is appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Seb_C_1
Beginner

Hi,

Very disappointed by the anticipated support drop for Ubuntu. We sell a media turnkey system with Ubuntu installed and our customers loves it. I can't really see putting CentOS instead!

Regards,

Seb

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for your feedback.  The purpose of this article is to give everyone as much notice as possible.  While I can't guarantee any outcomes, feedback from you and others is always an important part of product planning.   By the way, this does not mean that Media SDK will no longer work for Ubuntu, just that issues must be reproducible on CentOS or SLES for full support, bug fixes, etc.

0 Kudos
John_H_9
Beginner

Hello,

Is this still accurate? I have downloaded an evaluation of Media Server SDK 2015 and its documentation is still claiming support for Ubuntu 12.04. Our product requires Ubuntu and so frankly if Intel is planning on dropping support than I will need to find another option for our product.

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

The plans in the article are still on track.  We recognize this is a significant change and wanted to provide as much advance notice as possible.  The current public release for Linux still supports Ubuntu, but it is the last release to do so.  It is also the last release which supports 3rd Generation Core/Ivybridge.  The next release is still moving to CentOS 7 (then 7.1) and SLES 12. 

Going forward, there may be some options for other distros.  They will, however, require some work to backport from a generic kernel.org version to a broad range of environments.   While we hope to provide the foundation to do this with things like full source for kernel patches but merging the changes will be up to you with very limited support from Intel.

Please watch for more info as we get closer to the next release.

Regards, Jeff

0 Kudos
sam_p_
Beginner

It is actually awesome that you are supporting Red Hat 7/CentOS 7 as we are required to use Red Hat for other reasons, I am currently working on converting the latest release to Red Hat 7 and it is a royal pain, is there any way I could get pre-release or early release kernel modules? It would help me a lot just to see how you guys approached it as I am not a kernel hacker and this is my first time dealing with it.

0 Kudos
sam_p_
Beginner

I am really trying to get the media sdk working under a 3.10 kernel, can someone point me at kernel patches for 3.10? Can you give me alpha access if I buy you beer and sign an agreement saying  that I understand its an alpha? Please, anything helps at this point. 

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Sam - If you are using CentOS 7.0 (which seems to be the case based on your previous post), then the kernel that ships with the CentOS should is the one you need the SDK installation. From your forum post, looks like you got this working too.

0 Kudos
John_H_7
Beginner

Hi,

I'm on the side that's happy for the switch from Ubuntu to CentOS.  So, that's nice.

But, I'm wanting to use the v 2.0 MCU with the 2015 Media SDK.  I'm looking at the 2.0 MCU doc and it says on pg 8 for OS requirements:

2.2 Requirements and compatibility

Table 2-1 describes the system requirements for installing the MCU server. Table 2-2 gives an overview of MCU compatibility with the client.

Table 2-1. Server requirements Application name OS version

MCU server   Ubuntu 12.04 LTS* 64-bit

I'm hoping this is a case of doc that has not been updated, rather than the MCU lagging behind the SDK.

Can you comment on that?

Thanks,

John H.

0 Kudos