Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

ApolloLake VPP HW support for color conversions

Michael_S_Intel1
Employee

there is a table of color conversions that are supported by VPP, e.g. YUY2 to NV12 or   Y210 to NV12, etc.

I would like to know which of these conversion are handled by HW (the SFC block of Gen Media), which are done on EUs of Gen Gfx and which are maybe even done on the CPU with IPP.

where can I find the information about this or can somebody tell me ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Michael,

If you check the table 8 in page 27 of the following dev guide, does it solve your problem?

https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/MediaSDK/blob/master/doc/mediasdk-man.pdf

Mark

0 Kudos
Michael_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi Mark,

to be honest , no. This is a very interesting document I was not aware yet, but it does not tell me which conversion is hw acclerated and which not. I would like to know even more, functions can are avaialbel as hw preprocessing and which are postrpocessing.

regards

Michael

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the late response. I have checked and as far as I can tell, the Media SDK VPP color conversion is done by the hardware, we called VEBox in the GPU.

Mark

0 Kudos
Michael_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi Mark,

thanks, very helpful.

This means for all the color conversions functions we could expect to get the same performance as for VDBox, as it could be pipelined with VEBox, correct ? which means 4K60  in the case of Apollolake.

When I let sample_vpp run the  performance I measure is ~20 MPix/sec, which is far off the 497 MPix/s that correspond to 4K60. Any idea what is limiting here ?

I would assume that the measurements of the example exclude file i/o timeand other potential overhead ,  true ?

Michael

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Thanks Michael,

Do you have the command line to reproduce the issues? I want to try it to check.

I think the measurement should not include the file i/o but I want to check it before I answer you.

Mark

0 Kudos
Michael_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi Mark,

have been on  biz trips the last weeks.

Here the shell script I used, the log files created, once using a ramdisk and once not and the yuv input if you want to use it.

regards

Michael

0 Kudos