Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Be Supported? Intel Xeon Sandy Bridge-E CPU

IDZ_A_Intel
Employee
Hi, All.

I heard that Intel Xeon Sandy Bridge-E CPUused on a server was released.

So, I wonder that Intel Media SDK supportsthis new CPU.

Regards,
kmjlove130
0 Kudos
5 Replies
IDZ_A_Intel
Employee
Hi,
and sorry for the delayed answer.

Many of the Xeon Sandy Bridge CPUs does support HW acceleration of video encode and decode via Intel Quick Sync Video (QSV). You can find the details on which of the available Xeon processors does support QSV via the following links:
http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59137/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-Family/server
(using this link you can compare the spec of available Xeon Sandy Bridge products, look for QSV)

However, I still need confirmation from our graphics driver team if QSV and Media SDK is exposed via the Windows graphics driver.

I'll update this space again as soon as I hear back.

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos
IDZ_A_Intel
Employee
Hi Petter,

I heard that QSV you mentioned is a wraper of Intel Media SDK.
Is it right?
If so, I want to know moredetails (any links, any files and etc.)about QSV.
I tried to find that, but didn'tget useful information.

Anddo all the Xeon CPUs have its own graphic device support HW acceleration?

Regards,
kmjlove130
0 Kudos
IDZ_A_Intel
Employee
Hi kmjlove130,

Quick Sync Video (QSV) is a marketing term for the video acceleration technology built into the 2nd generation Intel Core processors. More infor below
Intel Media SDK exposes the features of QSV via the Media SDK API enabling developers to innovate and create applications using Intel platform HW acceleration.

Please refer to the link provided in my earlier post for a complete list of Xeon processors and details regarding which of these products have QSV. Not all of them do. The web page provides a way for you to compare the specs of all the Xeon processors. Look for "Intel Quick Sync Video".

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos
poovarasan_d_
Beginner

Hi Admin,

Is QSV support available in Xeon E5 Family  processors ??

Regards,

Pooovarasan

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Pooovarasan, 

Current Media Server Studio supports Xeon E5 v3 and v4 system. For details refer to system requirement section of release notes. With Xeon E5 Server you can use software codec available in Media SDK as mentioned in the release note. 
Also, to clarify Xeon E5 Server doesn't have integrated graphics card due to which one will not be able to use hardware acceleration provided through Media SDK unless added a PCI card like Intel VCA or Artesyn SharpStreamer. 

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos