Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Bug in VPP scale/resize in libmfxsw64.dll

celli4
New Contributor I

I have found a bug in the VPP scale/resize function of libmfxsw64.dll

This happens in the latest version of  libmfxsw64.dll, that is 7.16.5.13, and older versions too.

There is no issue in the hardware VPP function, or when using MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE

This issue will occur when using MFX_IMPL_SOFTWARE

Here is the carefully crafted reproduction:

1. Download the attached file, and run the following commands:
  2. rename colors.1920x1080.nv12.yuv.f colors.1920x1080.nv12.yuv
  3. sample_vpp -lib sw -sw 1920 -sh 1080 -scc nv12 -dw 1920 -dh 1080 -dcrX 1 -dcrW 1280 -dcrH 720 -dcc nv12 -i colors.1920x1080.nv12.yuv -o bad.1920x1080.nv12.yuv
  4. sample_vpp -lib hw -sw 1920 -sh 1080 -scc nv12 -dw 1920 -dh 1080 -dcrX 1 -dcrW 1280 -dcrH 720 -dcc nv12 -i colors.1920x1080.nv12.yuv -o good.1920x1080.nv12.yuv

You will now have two output files, the correct file 'good*' and the incorrect file 'bad*'

Please view the two files and you will see how only the software VPP scale/resize messes up the colors.

The cause of the issue is the combination of the '-lib sw' and the '-dcrX 1' flags, or MFX_IMPL_SOFTWARE and mfxFrameInfo.CropX elements.

This is not an issue if mfxFrameInfo.CropX%2==0, this is only an issue when mfxFrameInfo.CropX%2==1

If the team decides not to support 'mfxFrameInfo.CropX%2==1' for whatever reason, please add note to documentation AND return a fatal error code when attempting to use the unsupported values inside mfxFrameInfo.

I hope this is enough to get the issue into the correct queue inside Intel, but if not, and you need a formal report filed though another channel, please let me know.

Thank you very much, Cameron Elliott

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Cameron,

Can you share log from system_analyzer tool located at (mediasdk/tools/analyzer) ? This will help provide your system details. 

Thanks,

Zachary

0 Kudos
celli4
New Contributor I

Zachary,

I am attaching my system_analyzer output.  It might be useful to note the issue reported is basically independent of the system configuration, and thus system configuration has little affect on the presence/absence of the issue. The important variables for demonstrating when the bug occurs, and when it does not occur are highlighted in the bug reproduction steps above.

0 Kudos
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Cameron,

Thanks for your more details, I am reproducing this issue, I will get back to you soon.

Thanks,

Zachary

0 Kudos
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Cameron,

I have reproduced this issue and escalated it to MSDK develop team.

Hope this issue can be fixed in the next release, I will update this thread when I heard something regarding this issue. 

Thanks,

Zachary

0 Kudos