Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Build own kernel with Intel's Media SDK patches

VASILY_V_
Beginner

Hi,

I've download and successfully run the latest Intel Media SDK 2015 R4 (MediaServerStudioEssentialsEvaluation2015R4) on Linux server under CentOS 7 with Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz.

Now I want to run this SDK under Ubuntu and also with my own kernel.

I found this archive: /opt/intel/mediasdk/opensource/patches/kmd/3.10.0/intel-kernel-patches.tar.bz2

And if I understand correctly this patches should be applied to 3.10.* kernel. I've tried to apply them to this kernel: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.10.75-saucy/ (and also to 3.10.0)but already the first patch 0001-drm-i915-Synchronize-pread-pwrite-with-wait_renderin.patch can't be applied successfully, and the code in kernel very differ from that which need to be patched.

So my question is - which kernel version should I use? Are there are actual patches? Do I need them all?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
9 Replies
VASILY_V_
Beginner

It seems that this kernel already has all that patches.

So does it means that only what I need is custom libraries that Intel provides and that's all? That kernel is already patched and support Media SDK, right?

0 Kudos
VASILY_V_
Beginner

The forum is dead?

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hello Vasily,

I see you are using MSS R4 version - that package should have come with a getting started guide for Intel(R) Media Server Studio 2015 R4 for Linux version - let me know if you are missing that document and instead got the guide for a different version (R3.1)

To your question: For generic install, the path needs 3.14.5 kernel from www.kernel.org

Attached is the document on the instructions on how to go about it (from the guide for R4).

"The forum is dead?" -> We try to be on top of issues and respond as effectively as possible to many customers such as you (usually within a few days). I understand your frustration with failed build process and the time lost. but please be considerate to our efforts in helping customers such as you and many others. Hopefully the build process succeeds for you - if not we can work with you. Happy coding!

0 Kudos
VASILY_V_
Beginner

SRAVANTHI K. (Intel) wrote:

Hello Vasily,

I see you are using MSS R4 version - that package should have come with a getting started guide for Intel(R) Media Server Studio 2015 R4 for Linux version - let me know if you are missing that document and instead got the guide for a different version (R3.1)

To your question: For generic install, the path needs 3.14.5 kernel from www.kernel.org

Attached is the document on the instructions on how to go about it (from the guide for R4).

"The forum is dead?" -> We try to be on top of issues and respond as effectively as possible to many customers such as you (usually within a few days). I understand your frustration with failed build process and the time lost. but please be considerate to our efforts in helping customers such as you and many others. Hopefully the build process succeeds for you - if not we can work with you. Happy coding!

Hello, Sravanthi!

Thank you very much for respond. Yes I've found that guide and also try kernel 3.14.5 on ubuntu 14.04 system with patches and it works ok!

Also if I understand correctly - newer kernels already has all of this patches. Am I right? And also newest ubuntu kernels has this patches too. Yes?

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hello Vasily - Glad the install worked for you.

Regarding your question - "Also if I understand correctly - newer kernels already has all of this patches. Am I right? And also newest ubuntu kernels has this patches too. Yes?" --> No, we do not upstream our Media-specific patches to the kernels (be in Ubuntu, CentOS or SLES). With every release of MSS, we package the kernel patches applicable for the particular OS and provide guide to the developer on how to apply them on the kernel. For users who want to apply patches to other OS not directly supported by us, we provide "Generic Install" steps to help. Hope this helps. If I misunderstood your question (which is likely), please rephrase it and provide some more details - I will get back to you.

0 Kudos
VASILY_V_
Beginner

SRAVANTHI K. (Intel) wrote:

Hello Vasily - Glad the install worked for you.

Regarding your question - "Also if I understand correctly - newer kernels already has all of this patches. Am I right? And also newest ubuntu kernels has this patches too. Yes?" --> No, we do not upstream our Media-specific patches to the kernels (be in Ubuntu, CentOS or SLES). With every release of MSS, we package the kernel patches applicable for the particular OS and provide guide to the developer on how to apply them on the kernel. For users who want to apply patches to other OS not directly supported by us, we provide "Generic Install" steps to help. Hope this helps. If I misunderstood your question (which is likely), please rephrase it and provide some more details - I will get back to you.

Thank you very much! Yes it helps.

But why you don't support newest kernels? 4.0.1? Or just some newer than 3.14.5

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hello Vasily- There is effort to make the process easier to developers like you. The process is not easy and is time-consuming (to upstream any patches to the Linux.org -> it is time-consuming and the rate of our product release does not meet the timelines). This is a limiting factor and efforts are being made to improve this experience. Thanks for bringing this concern to our attention - such feedback is very helpful.

0 Kudos
shrirang_j_
Beginner
Hello, I was able to apply patch for 3.14 .5 successfully and able to use SDK with OpenCL with Ubuntu as well as Debian, thanks. This patching guide media_server_studio_getting_started_guide.pdf talks of a kernel mode i915 driver patch as well as user mode changes for Media SDK. I found that Ubuntu 14.4 with 3.19 linux kernel already has support for intel integrated graphics i915 driver, without needing a patch. I want to use OpenCL using Media SDK on this version. Will this work? My first attempt showed that some basic OpenCL APIs like clGetPlatformIDs() show the proper GPU resource, actual GPU code does not work. What is your recommendation for Ubuntu 14.4 with 3.19 linux kernel? Reason for 3.19 kernel is that Intel has a KVMGT project patch which is available on that (please see this announcement http://www.spinics.net/lists/kvm/msg122753.html ). Objective is to use KVMGT for GPU virtualization. OpenCL Intel Media SDK is what is used to program the GPU. Thanks, Shrirang.
0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hi Shrirang - First, please do not add a new issue/question to an already existing thread. Esp in this case since the one you attached to is very old and closed thread. After my response, I am going to close the thread and encourage you to start a new thread with your question. You can refer to previous threads in your thread freely.

Now to your question, not sure if I understand your question correctly, but here is a stab at it.

- MSS packages comes with drivers inside it, that includes a closed source driver iHD_driver.so module in addition to i915. To enable MSDK with full performance and features on the platform, you need this closed source driver module as well. So, if you followed the steps in this document on how to install MSS on Ubuntu, then you should see this closed driver in /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64 folder, and should be able to use both MSDK and OCL together.

Here is the document that talks about the install - How to setup Media Server Studio on Secondary OS of Linux

And here are some other support documents for the same - https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-setup-and-deploy-media-server-studio-on-centos-71

0 Kudos