Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

CRF for Intel H.264 encoder ?

Robby_S
New Contributor I

Hi, I was wondering if there is a setting in the Intel encoder that is equivalent to CRF (Constant Rate Factor) in x264. I did some research, and now I have more questions:

1. The Intel Media SDK 2014 Developer's Guide (I believe it's the latest publicly available version as of today) talks about the parameters MFX_RATECONTROL_LA_CRF and mfxInfoMFX::CRFQuality. Judging by the param names, I guess they are probably something similar to the CRF setting in x264. Am I guessing it right ?

2. The Intel Media SDK 2014 Developer's Guide also states that the Media SDK must be initialized to use API version 1.8 or later, in order to have support for MFX_RATECONTROL_LA_CRF and mfxInfoMFX::CRFQuality. I have Media Server Studio Essentials 2015R6, which I believe is API version 1.16. However, I can't find anything about those two parameters in the SDK API Reference Manual. Why is it so?

3. I searched the Media SDK installation on my computer, but didn't find those two parameters either. 

4. Assuming I guessed right in 1, how do I use params MFX_RATECONTROL_LA_CRF and mfxInfoMFX::CRFQuality to achieve a similar effect as setting CRF in x264?

Thanks,

Robby

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

you are right, looks outdated. manual is up to date https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/mediasdk-man.pdf 

just simple replace CRF with ICQ everywhere

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

you should find ICQ instead of CRF in manual and source code. different letters but similar purpose:)

0 Kudos
Robby_S
New Contributor I

Thanks Alexey, ICQ looks like it; it even has the same range as x264's CRF, except for the value 0.

So mfxInfoMFX::CRFQuality has been renamed to mfxInfoMFX::ICQQuality?  How about MFX_RATECONTROL_LA_CRF ?

If that's the case, the Intel Media SDK 2014 Developer's Guide looks outdated. When will a new version be released?

Thanks again,

Robby 

0 Kudos
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

you are right, looks outdated. manual is up to date https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/mediasdk-man.pdf 

just simple replace CRF with ICQ everywhere

0 Kudos