Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Camera sample does not run on all systems

Sachin_R_
Beginner

Hello, 

I've been trying out the intel media sdk for quite sometime. The performance overall is excellent, especially with 4k. 

What I did not understand is, I could not run few samples on many NUCs available with me. To be specific , I needed sample_camera application for testing the colour correction filter. This actually worked on only one system. 

The following table lists the results with various NUC systems 

Setup  Display Driver version   SDK Version  Test Results  Comments
Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4GHz

Intel HD Graphic - 4000  
Driver Version : 10.18.10.3958
 1.13 Fail  This plugin was never supported in 1.13. So, expected result - Fail.
 Intel i6-5250U  Intel HD Graphics - 6000
Driver Version : 20.19.15.4331 
 1.17 Fail   
 Intel i7-5557U Intel Iris Graphic 6100   1.17 Fail  
 Intel (SkullCanyon)  Intel Iris Pro 580
Driver Version : 20.19.15.4444
 1.17 Pass  This has the highest version of Display Driver - 4444 -- though not the same graphic card. 
Could this be a requirement?

As you can see, I'm able to run the sample_camera application on only ONE system. Which is surprising!

Another thing to note : I have tested with the latest Release ( intel media sdk, R2 ). Results are still same. 

1. Could someone from intel give an explanation on this?
  2. Can you please list out what hardware you support ?
  3. If this is not a hardware issue, then what else could the problem be? Do you need any logs? say, registery or anything that be helpful.

P.S: Tests are performed with utmost dedication. We used sample binaries supplied in the sample at the time of installation. We have also compiled the samples as it is for our own validation. In either case, results are same. Since at least one case is working, I suppose, I have a valid input for the sample to run. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Sachin,

You have previous Media SDK release (1.17 API version).Try to update Media SDK to 1.19 API version (Download Media SDK 2016 R2).

Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4GHz is a 3rd generation of Intel CPUs called Ivy-Bridge that is unsupported by RAW-accelerator plugin. We support upper than 4th generation (Haswell) of Intel processors with integrated graphics. 

What errors do generate the sample_camera on  Intel i6-5250U and  Intel i7-5557UIf it doesn't work after updating Media SDK, you can try to install SkullCanyon's driver on this machine. 

Best wishes,

Anna 

0 Kudos
Sachin_R_
Beginner

Hi Anna,

As I mentioned in my question, I have tested with the latest media sdk ( version 1.19 ). 

Also, I understand that , Intel i7-3770 CPU is not supported, I've already mentioned that in question.

The error I get is - MFX_ERR_NOT_FOUND ( error code : -9 ). When I debugged, I found out that this is actually generated when the application is not able to load the plugin.

I'll update the driver and let you know the results.

0 Kudos
Sachin_R_
Beginner

Hi Anna,

I have tested with latest possible driver available. I still see the issue.

Could you please validate it? Or at least give an explanation as why its not working?

0 Kudos
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Sachin,

It's strange. This problem should be solved by a right combination of latest driver, sdk and samples.  Please run mediasdk_system_analyzer tool to check supported API versions and implementations. If you see that HW implementations of the latest Api versions (1.8 and 1.9) are unsupported, do the following steps (order is important):

1. Uninstall all MediaSDK and Media Server Studio versions from your computers.

2. Install the latest driver (you can use Intel(R) Driver Update Utility for this reason)

3. Install Media SDK 2016 R2. 

4. Download and run the latest samples from github: https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/samples 

Best wishes,

Anna

0 Kudos