Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Can't get SDK to work - Windows or Linux on Broadwell or Skylake

Edward_R_2
Beginner

hi,

I'm trying to get the SDK working but on the following platforms it installs but when run the SDK samples or "ffmpeg vcodec h264_qsv" it hangs on the first frame.I've tried a variety of presets and profiles as well as async settings to see if the default params are broken, no luck.

I'm installing Intel Media SDK 2015R6.

I've tried:

CentOS 7.1
Fedora 21 (this is supported by the 01.org Intel Driver for Linux)
Windows 10

on:

Xeon E3-12xx Broadwell (I used the 01.org Intel Linux installer from source due to PackageKit dependency problem)
Core i7-5xxx Broadwell (I used the 01.org Intel Linux installer from source due to PackageKit dependency problem)
Core i7-6700K Skylake ( I used the Intel Download Center - Windows 10 display driver)
It works on Core i7 Haswell.

any help appreciated.

thx

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Shaojuan_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Edward,

After you installed MediaSDK, did you verify the correctness of installation via steps stated in "How can I check if Media Server Studio is installed correctly for my OS" here (http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio-support/faq)? For ffmpeg usage of quicksync, or installer from 01.org, they are not officially supported by MediaSDK. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Edward_R_2
Beginner

thanks for getting back to me, 

On Windows 10 the installer was successful.

On CentOS 7.1 I couldn't load the 01.org display driver since the .rpm had unmet dependencies. Installing from source only allows Fedora 21.

On Fedora 21 lspci shows the device, lsmod shows the i915 driver is loaded. Note that on the Skylake (i7-6700k) the display is only half drawn with bad artifact redraws.

vainfo reports all the codecs you would expect.

thx

0 Kudos
Edward_R_2
Beginner

w.r.t. 01.org driver - what are we supposed to use on CentOS 7.1 as the display driver if the Media SDK doesn't install the driver?

w.r.t. FFmpeg, it hangs the same way as the samples/_bin/ transcode example.

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Edward, 

Xeon E3-12xx Broadwell (I used the 01.org Intel Linux installer from source due to PackageKit dependency problem)
There are only few configuration which are supported for E3 processor, please check if this system is actually supported. 
Supported configuration can be found in Media Server Studio release notes

Core i7-5xxx Broadwell (I used the 01.org Intel Linux installer from source due to PackageKit dependency problem)

If windows 8.1, it should be straight forward installation. If you experiencing an issue then please send us the system analyzer logs. System analyzer is present in the installed directory under tools. 
If windows 10, currently that is not supported through Media Server Studio. You can download Media SDK Client from INDE to run the Media SDK on windows 10. 
If Linux, please first install the Media Server Studio using the getting started guide and run a pre-build binaries to make sure Media Server Studio is installed properly and is not the root cause of your issue.  

Core i7-6700K Skylake ( I used the Intel Download Center - Windows 10 display driver)
Media Server Studio doesn't have support for Skylake yet. You can download Media SDK client from INDE to use Media SDK on the Skylake system. 

Note: Once you install Media SDK Client(ver 6.0.0.349) through INDE, please check ISM tool(installed with INDE) to check for Media SDK Client updates and update to Media SDK version 6.0.0.3888

"what are we supposed to use on CentOS 7.1 as the display driver if the Media SDK doesn't install the driver?" What is the system you are referring to, please provide details to look into this issue. 

Let us know if you have issues installing Media SDK Client or Media Server Studio. 

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos