Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Can't run HW HEVC decoder

Maksym_K_
Beginner

Hi.

I've downloaded evaluation of the Prof. Version of the MSS SDK. So, I'm able to use HEVC HW encoder but not decoder.

in /opt/intel/mediasdk/plugins/ there is no HW plugin. Only SW.

So, the question, how to get the HW decoder plugin ?

Here is output of the sample application: 

./sample_decode_drm h265 -i ~/Downloads/140803_4k_hm130_4s_sao_dbf_qp27.265 -o test.yuv -p 33a61c0b4c27454ca8d85dde757c6f8e
plugin_loader.h :153 [ERROR] Failed to load plugin from GUID, sts=-9: { 0x33, 0xa6, 0x1c, 0x0b, 0x4c, 0x27, 0x45, 0x4c, 0xa8, 0xd8, 0x5d, 0xde, 0x75, 0x7c, 0x6f, 0x8e } (Intel (R) Media SDK HW plugin for HEVC DECODE)

Return on error: error code -3,    /home/m.koshel/Projects/MediaSamples_Linux_6.0.16043175.175/samples/sample_decode/src/pipeline_decode.cpp    266

Return on error: error code 1,    /home/m.koshel/Projects/MediaSamples_Linux_6.0.16043175.175/samples/sample_decode/src/sample_decode.cpp    501

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Maksym, 

Can you provide details of the system - processor info, graphics device, OS, Media Server Studio version, samples version?
33a61c0b4c27454ca8d85dde757c6f8e is the hevc hw decoder plugin which works as hybrid implementation for 4th and 5th generation and is implemented as hardware implementation for 6th generation. 

hevc hybrid decode implementation is not available on Linux OS, due to which you are seeing unable to load plugin folder. you should be able to use sw decoder implementation. Please let us know if you need any more clarity on hevc plugins. 

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
Maksym_K_
Beginner

Hi Surbhi.

Thank you for information. So, I have this CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1226 v3 @ 3.30GHz and HD4600. SW decoder is working.

I'm using Centos 7.1 x86_64.

Currently, I'm evaluating the MSDK since it might be considered by my empliyer. So, I was trying to get decoded frame type such, but as I read in Release notes for R6 release of MSS HEVC SW decoder unable to provide frame type. For that reason I was looking for HW.

I understand that my CPU might be not the latest. So the question is the following: If our target platform going to be VCA card, can I expect that there will be HW decoder of HEVC ? And what firmware is installed on that card ? Linux, Windows or proprietary ?

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Maksym,

HEVC hw decoder is not available on 5th generation and prior system. From 6th generation processor onward, we have HEVC hw decode. (I see your Xeon machine to be 4th generation based and VCA card is based on 5th generation, both don't have HEVC hw decoder support). Reg. VCA, we provide the image for CentOS 7.1 today.

You can look at the product disclosure of the VCA card to find technical specifications - http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/servers/media-and-graphics/visual-compute-accelerator-brief.html 

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos