Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

Can the Media SDK encode h264 without purchasing the MainConcept plugin?

Matthew_C_7
Beginner

As I understand it, the Intel Media SDK can encode (or decode ) h264 video without the MainConcept plugin but after reading this article, I am a little confused:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-the-intel-media-sdk-within-mainconcept-h264avc-encoder-for-intel-quick-sync-video

Is it just that it is only hardware accelerated if using the MainConcept plugin?  What does the plugin add?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Intel Media SDK is required to gain access to HW accelerated encode. You can use the SDK directly to access this functionality. No need for the MainConcept SDK unless you desire the layer of additional features they deliver.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Matthew,

The Mainconcept product you mention is a using Media SDK to gain access to HW acceleration. MainConcept developed a layer on top of the
Media SDK which I assume aligns with their already existing media framework. If you have questions regarding what additional features MainConcept provide beyond Media SDK I suggest you connect with MainConcept.

Regards,
Petter

0 Kudos
Matthew_C_7
Beginner

But the Media SDK does provide H264 encoding that is HW accelerated without using the MainConcept product correct?  Or it's only HW accelerated if I use the MainConcept product?

Thank you Petter.

0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Intel Media SDK is required to gain access to HW accelerated encode. You can use the SDK directly to access this functionality. No need for the MainConcept SDK unless you desire the layer of additional features they deliver.

0 Kudos