Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3056 Discussions

Cannot init MFX h/w or s/w: i7-2820QM Sandy Bridge notebook

karl_lillevold
Beginner

We are not able to initialize MFX with hardware acceleration support on a Lenovo W520 notebook with an Intel i7-2820QM Sandy Bridge CPU. It has switchable graphics, and we are sure we have set the Intel card as the active video card. 

When I run my test app, I can't even initialize MFX with software Quicksync, nor 'MFX_IMPL_AUTO_ANY'...

The system specs from CPU-Z are included in attached snapshots.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
karl_lillevold
Beginner
Problem solved by updating to HD Graphics driver version 2761. The Lenovo provided driver 2696 must have not supported Quicksync.
0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi Karl, Great to hear you found a solution. Upgrading to latest driver from Intel.com is often a very good idea. The fact is that some OEMs decide to roll their own drivers, occasionally removing capabilities. Regards, Petter
0 Kudos