Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Capture Screen then do Encode continuously using Intel Media SDK

Mohammad_T_1
Beginner

Hi , Can anybody tell me how to Capture Screen continuously and do encode it using Intel Media SDK ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hello Mohammad, 

Screen capture plugin continuosly captures display front buffer. In order to capture only specific number of frames to a surface you will need to add "-n (number for frames to capture)" and if you want direct it to a file (in nv12 format), you can add " -o outputfile.nv12" to above command line, then command line will be as following:

"sample_decode.exe capture  -p 22d62c07e672408fbb4cc20ed7a053e4 -h (height)  -w (width) -hw -n (number of frames) -o outputfile.nv12 "

Screen capture plugin can also capture display front buffer in RGB4 format. Depending on your use case you capture frames in either (nv12/rgb4) format suitable for your scenario and then using encoder you can encode the frames. Please refer to "mediasdkscreencap-man.pdf" for configuration details with plugin. 

For further media questions, please post your questions on mediasdk forum here:  https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk. It will be easier for us to track and respond.

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Mohammad,

We have another solution, which provides more advantages and removes limitations with GetFrontBufferData solution:

• From MediaSDK API 1.13 we have added capture screen plugin, where you can screen capture raw frames directly in NV12 format and connect with encoder for encoding. 
    • Screen capture -> MediaSDK encoder. 
  • Screen capture is implemented as part of decoder plugin. Run the following command line to capture screen in NV12 format directly using samples:
    • sample_decode.exe capture  -p 22d62c07e672408fbb4cc20ed7a053e4 -h (height)  -w (width) -hw 

The above command line shows screen capture operation works. Please take a look at "mediasdkscreencap-man.pdf" in mediasdk/docs folder to know more details about the screen capture plugin. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
Mohammad_T_1
Beginner

Hi Harsh,

Thanks for this information but i am not able to find MediaSDK API 1.13 for Windows to download. I am using INDE in Windows.

If you know the link from where to download it, kindly provide me, it will be really very helpful to me.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Mohammad_T_1
Beginner

Hi 

I have tried to code with help from mediasdkscreencap-man.pdf. But not able to make it. Is there any code or example ?

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Mohammad, 

Please confirm and verify, if you have latest mediasdk ver 6.0.0.388 (API 1.16) installed. Yes, then it already includes screen capture support. We have samples showcasing this feature. Download latest samples: https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/MediaSamples_Windows_6.0.0.68.msi, then run the following command line, which shows screen capture operation:

• "sample_decode.exe capture  -p 22d62c07e672408fbb4cc20ed7a053e4 -h (height)  -w (width) -hw "  

For quick turnaround on mediasdk related issues, please direct your questions here:  https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk. It will be easier for us to track and respond.

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
Mohammad_T_1
Beginner

Hi Harsh,

I am running "sample_decode.exe capture  -p 22d62c07e672408fbb4cc20ed7a053e4 -h (height)  -w (width) -hw " , it runs nice, but i want to know how to stop it, and when it stops where it will give me output file. Is there any output file when this exe stops.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hello Mohammad, 

Screen capture plugin continuosly captures display front buffer. In order to capture only specific number of frames to a surface you will need to add "-n (number for frames to capture)" and if you want direct it to a file (in nv12 format), you can add " -o outputfile.nv12" to above command line, then command line will be as following:

"sample_decode.exe capture  -p 22d62c07e672408fbb4cc20ed7a053e4 -h (height)  -w (width) -hw -n (number of frames) -o outputfile.nv12 "

Screen capture plugin can also capture display front buffer in RGB4 format. Depending on your use case you capture frames in either (nv12/rgb4) format suitable for your scenario and then using encoder you can encode the frames. Please refer to "mediasdkscreencap-man.pdf" for configuration details with plugin. 

For further media questions, please post your questions on mediasdk forum here:  https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk. It will be easier for us to track and respond.

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
Mohammad_T_1
Beginner

Hi Harsh,

The simple_decode code is working fine at the location where i am putting whole IntelMediaSamples6.0.0.68. But when i put single decode_sample at different location and copy plug-in at that location inside decode_sample then unknown_plugin error is coming. So please tell me how to add plug-in and code decode_sample at different location.

I am passing command line "sample_decode.exe capture  -p 22d62c07e672408fbb4cc20ed7a053e4 -h (height)  -w (width) -hw -n (number of frames) -o outputfile.nv12 " , but at different location unknown plugin error is coming.

Please help me .

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Mohammad,

Please correct me if i did not get your question correctly, "you would like to know how run screen capture via sample_decode command line when copied on different path"? Yes, then to run screen capture, you should have sample_decode executable and plugin at the same folder level and can be at any different location as below, make sure both the files (exe and plugin) are at same folder level and that should resolve the unknown plugin issue. 

Capture.PNG

Also, as I have mentioned in several previous posts, please post your questions on mediasdk forum here:  https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk. It will be easier for us to track and respond.

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
Mohammad_T_1
Beginner

Hi Harsh

With exe the plugin is working fine, i am running different project same as sample_decode but only with Screen Capture code and i am copying plugin at the location where the new ScreenCapture code is .  But when i am running it , there is an error "Failed to load pliugin from GUID".

Hope now you understand what my problem is.

Help me with this.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Mohammad_T_1
Beginner

Hi Harsh

I have resolve the issue, I did copy plugins in my project debug folder. Now it's working fine.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Chintan_M_
Beginner

The plugin captures the framebuffer data. Does this mean while writing our own code for screen capture we just have to take care of decode and encode operation?

OR

Can we design our own Screen Capture code using the Intel Media SDK which can work independently from the plugin provided by Intel?

0 Kudos