Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3056 Discussions

Captured Data of NV12 Writing into DXVA Encode Buffer

Joyah
Beginner

Hi there,

We're designing a HDMI Capture with 1080i stream.

It's considered that the capture outputs the RAW of NV12 to the MSDK encode frame buffer(DXVA) by the way of DMA though PCIE.

I would like to ask, whether the MSDK hardware impl support that kind of input behavior? (seems more efficient without colorspace convert.)

Any advices appreciated.

Regards,

Joyah

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Joyah, Your solution is good as long as "DXVA buffer" is a Direct3D9 or a Direct3D11 (DX11.1 on Windows 8) surface - that's what Media SDK Encoder supports at input. Please also note that you have to provide the D3D device used to create D3D buffers and an external frame allocator to Media SDK so that HW accelerated encoding can be performed on those buffers. I recommend to check out sections "Working with Microsoft* DirectX* Applications" and "Memory Allocation and External Allocators" of mediasdk_man.pdf for more details. Regards, Nina
0 Kudos
celli4
New Contributor I
Joyah, You can also use system memory to do this, and the programming model is simpler to get going than Direct3D, but you will pay a performance penalty. In my experience encoding 1080P from system memory was about 78% as fast as using Direct3D surfaces. So, you have a couple options. Cameron
0 Kudos
Joyah
Beginner
Nina Kurina (Intel) wrote:

Hi Joyah,

Your solution is good as long as "DXVA buffer" is a Direct3D9 or a Direct3D11 (DX11.1 on Windows 8) surface - that's what Media SDK Encoder supports at input.

Please also note that you have to provide the D3D device used to create D3D buffers and an external frame allocator to Media SDK so that HW accelerated encoding can be performed on those buffers. I recommend to check out sections "Working with Microsoft* DirectX* Applications" and "Memory Allocation and External Allocators" of mediasdk_man.pdf for more details.

Regards,
Nina

Your reply helps a lot, thank you!
0 Kudos
Joyah
Beginner
camkego wrote:

Joyah,

You can also use system memory to do this, and the programming model is simpler to get going than Direct3D,
but you will pay a performance penalty.
In my experience encoding 1080P from system memory was about 78% as fast as using Direct3D surfaces.

So, you have a couple options.

Cameron

Thanks for your advice!
0 Kudos
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
If native memory for the capture device output is video memory it would be better to use D3D surfaces to avoid costly copy from video to system memory. Regards, Nina
0 Kudos
michael_C_
Beginner

Hello,Joyah and Nina Kurina (Intel). I'm also designing a HDMI Capture Card. And now I can capture RAW of NV12 to the system memory.But to increase the perfomance,I'd like to capture to the vedio memory.I'm working on Intel Core i5, and my minidriver is based on AVStream.

To do this,The WDK documents mention that "Obtain the adapter GUID from the vendor-supplied graphics miniport driver. The DXGK_INTERFACESPECIFICDATA structure contains the adapter GUID to return in the property request. This structure is generated by the DirectX graphics kernel (DXGK) subsystem and is passed to the miniport driver when the adapter is initialized."

But I'm still puzzeled about the specific operations to get that display adapter’s GUID.Can you explain the specific operations to me?

Thanks very much!

0 Kudos