Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Color format support

lonely_hearts_club

Hi,

As I know ,MSDK VPP only accept RGB32,YUY2 and NV12 color format. But many webcams provide other formats such as RGB24(Logitech) and I420. Will you consider to support more color formats in your later version of MSDK? Thanks!

Regards!

-Patrick

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi Patrick, Intel Open CL SDK can certainly be used on Intel 3rd generation Core platforms to realize GPU frame processing such as color space conversion. If you pursue this path make sure to utilize the Open CL DirectX and/or media surface sharing features to ensure optimal performance. You can find more details on how to use these capabilities among the Intel Open CL SDK samples. As far as I know we do not provide any color space conversion Open CL kernels so you would have to find those somewhere else or develop yourself. Regards, Petter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi Patrick, Correct, Media SDK (VPP) only supports a limited set of color space conversion routines. We are certainly exploring adding support for additional conversion in future products, but I can unfortunately not provide any details or road maps. In the meantime you can also explore the set of CPU optimized conversion routines part of Intel Performance Primitives (IPP). For cameras with high resolution MJPEG is also common. Media SDK do have an MJPEG decode component. Regards, Petter
0 Kudos
lonely_hearts_club
Petter Larsson (Intel) wrote:

Hi Patrick,

Correct, Media SDK (VPP) only supports a limited set of color space conversion routines.

We are certainly exploring adding support for additional conversion in future products, but I can unfortunately not provide any details or road maps.

In the meantime you can also explore the set of CPU optimized conversion routines part of Intel Performance Primitives (IPP).

For cameras with high resolution MJPEG is also common. Media SDK do have an MJPEG decode component.

Regards,
Petter

Thank you for your suggestion! I am now using the sws_scale() function from ffmpeg to do the CSC. But is causes a significant CPU workload increasement. Though the hardware acceleration for h264 encode and decode releases the burden on CPU,the CSC adds an extra CPU overhead. I am wondering if I can use opencl to realize the GPU acceleration for CSC. Is this a viable solution? Meanwhile, I will also get some knowledge of IPP. Thank you for your advice. -Patrick
0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi Patrick, Intel Open CL SDK can certainly be used on Intel 3rd generation Core platforms to realize GPU frame processing such as color space conversion. If you pursue this path make sure to utilize the Open CL DirectX and/or media surface sharing features to ensure optimal performance. You can find more details on how to use these capabilities among the Intel Open CL SDK samples. As far as I know we do not provide any color space conversion Open CL kernels so you would have to find those somewhere else or develop yourself. Regards, Petter
0 Kudos