Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Corrupted decode using the simple decode sample

Donald_G_
Beginner

I am getting corruption from all samples decoded by the simple video decode sample (simple_6_decode - vpp_postproc). I have placed the source elementary stream and the resulting YUV file here:

http://neuron2.net/misc/Intel/test3.264

http://neuron2.net/misc/Intel/test3.yuv

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Donald,

I tried decoding your H.264 stream on my side and see issues with artifacts or with the tutorial sample you are using.

Looking at your supplied YUV file it is clear that the decoder on your side produces some artifacts. Please make sure you are using the latest available Intel Graphics driver. I'm assuming you are using HW acceleration, right?

If that does not work please share details about your system configuration. You can use the Media SDK system analyzer tool to gather this info.

Regards,
Petter

0 Kudos
Donald_G_
Beginner

Sorry, you say you are or are not seeing the artifacts when you decode with sample 6? Your posting says you are.

As far as I know, I do not use HW acceleration, I just run the sample as it is. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Donald,

Sorry, my typing slipped. I meant to say I see NO artifacts running the tutorial sample locally. I tried both SW and HW mode.

If you are using unmodified tutorial sample then, as with all tutorial samples, HW acceleration will be used if available (MFX_IMPL_AUTO_ANY). If not, the execution will fall back on CPU.

It is possible you are using an old version of either the Media SDK SW DLL (part of the SDK package) or the HW DLL (part of the Intel Graphics driver)  for which the H.264 decoder had bugs causing artifacts.   Can you please share details about your system configuration.

Regards,
Petter

0 Kudos
Donald_G_
Beginner

I have the very latest Intel Media SDK 2014 gold but I don't know what my Intel graphics driver vesion is. How do I query that?

0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Donald,

There are many ways of determining you graphics driver version. The simplest way is just to use the Media SDK system analyzer tool. You can also go into Windows Control Panel/Device Manager/Display Adapters  to check the properties for the driver you have installed.

Are you using SW or HW execution for your workload?

Regards,
Petter

0 Kudos