Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

D3D9 vs D3D11

celli4
New Contributor I

Hello,

I have a basic understanding of using system memory versus using  GPU memory,  which entails using Direct3D to create and manage surfaces.

One thing I am not clear on, and wonder if someone at Intel could clarify, is the tradeoffs of using Direct 3D 9 vs Direct 3D 11 with the Intel Media SDK.

Are there any reasons to use the Direct 3D 9 support other than backward compatibility?

Or, if I had to choose just one or the other to support for my application, which would be recommended?, and why?

Thank you very much,

Cameron

0 Kudos
2 Replies
celli4
New Contributor I
Well, this looks like one of those cases where I get to answer my own question. It turns out that I have an HD 2000, which apparently does not support DirectX 11, so while I might have the ability to use the Intel media SDK, I can't use it with DirectX 11. I discovered this by using the sample_decode application.
0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi, Also note the following. Using D3D11 surfaces with Media SDK requires Windows 8 due DirectX 11.1 dependencies. Regards, Petter
0 Kudos