Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

De-interlacing and Resizing/Scaling Capbilities

Tejas_P_
Beginner

Hi All,

We are planning to use Intel® NUC Kit D54250WYK or other similar kit with Windows 7 OS in our project. Project requirement is to capture video from USB 3.0 and display it on HDMI. Capture format is 480i yCbCr and display format is 1080P. We are planning to use De-interlace and Resizing/Scaling feature of Media SDK for 480i yCbCr to 1080P conversion. Can we do 480i to 1080P conversion using Media SDK? What is maximum capability of Resizer/Scaler?Which NUC kit we need to use for the same?                                              

Regards,

Tejash Patel

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Yes, Media SDK should be able to do all of these things.  VPP can deinterlace and resize.  Resolutions can be up to 4K.  Scaling is suitable for upsizing and downsizing.  While advice on NUC configurations is out of the scope of this forum, the main consideration is the processor.  You can check whether the processor will work with Media SDK by checking for Quicksync capability at ark.intel.com.

0 Kudos
Tejas_P_
Beginner

Hi Jeffrey,

Can we also do capture from USB 3.0 port and display on specific HDMI port using Media SDK?

Regards,

Tejash Patel

0 Kudos
Tejas_P_
Beginner

Hi Jeffrey,

In Media SDK, Is De-interlacing and Resizing/Scaling software based or Hardware based?. I tried to find API's for De-interlacing and Resizing/Scaling but i am not able to find it. Can you please give me name of API's for the same?           

Regards,

Tejash Patel

0 Kudos
elsparro
Beginner

Hi Tejash,

Basically you create a MFXVideoVPP object and initiate it with the proper mfxVideoParam struct.

Check the mfxVideoParam, mfxInfoVPP and mfxFrameInfo struct in the header file mfxstructures.h

You just configure your input and output format, initiate the VPP, allocate some frames to work with and start inputting frames with RunFrameVPPAsync.

Example 3 in the document mediasdk-man.pdf have some pseudo code that might help you.

Hope this helps you get started.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Tejas_P_
Beginner

Hi elsparro,

Does Intel® Core™ i3 4010U Processor(Intel® HD Graphics 4400) supports all the functionality of media SDK?  

Regards,

Tejash Patel

0 Kudos
elsparro
Beginner

Hi Tejash,

Yes, it should since it has Quick Sync Video support (http://ark.intel.com/sv/products/75107/Intel-Core-i3-4010U-Processor-3M-Cache-1_70-GHz)

But I'm NOT an intel employee, Jeffrey or one of the other intel guys could give you a definite answer.

I have only worked with the Xeon E3-12x5v3 processors.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Tejas_P_
Beginner

Hi elsparro,

I want to upscale and de-interlace 480i YUV422 video to 1080P using VPP. But according media sdk manual we can configure input frame color format mfxFrameInfo.FourCC = MFX_FOURCC_YV12 or MFX_FOURCC_NV12 or MFX_FOURCC_RGB4 or MFX_FOURCC_YUY2 or MFX_FOURCC_P8 or MFX_FOURCC_P8_TEXTURE or MFX_FOURCC_P010 or MFX_FOURCC_BGR4 or MFX_FOURCC_A2RGB10 or MFX_FOURCC_ARGB16 or MFX_FOURCC_R16. But there is no MACRO available for YUV422 color format selection. How can i configure VPP input and output frame format to YUV422?   

Regards,

Tejash Patel

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

There are no options for 4:2:2 YUV input.  However, you can incorporate components from anything you want into your pipelines.  In this case, since ingest is happening on the CPU you could do the conversion there.  IPP has many well optimized CPU color conversion functions, so you may be able to find a combination of IPP and VPP that is faster than writing the conversion yourself.

0 Kudos
Tejas_P_
Beginner

Jeffrey Mcallister,

I have found one Intel Media SDK toturial "https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-media-sdk-tutorial-simple-6-encode-ipp-cc".  As mentioned in this tutorial that Intel Media SDK can do UYVY -> NV12 Conversion. But in Media SDK there is no MACRO available for UYVY input format selection. Please guide how can i do UYVY -> NV12 conversion using Media SDK.               

Regards,

Tejash Patel 

0 Kudos