Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Decode 4k video Return MFX_ERR_DEVICE_FAILED

lin__dexiong
Beginner

hi all,

I am using intel media sdk(2016) cycle decoding a 4k h264 video files. However, after a while, the DecodeFrameAsync interface returns MFX_ERR_DEVICE_FAILED. Running time is uncertain, may be ten minutes, may be ten hours.
May I ask what this may be the reason?

CPU:    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU
 Arch:   64 bits

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tamer_Assad
Innovator

Hi Dominic,

Please  provide additional information about the problem.

does DecodeFrameAsync () return MFX_ERR_DEVICE_FAILED randomly?

does it behave the same way when processing the same media multiple times?

does this happen on all media samples?

could you please explain the process flow?

Best regards,

Tamer

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Dominic,

I think Tamer already answered your questions, you can try followings as he suggested:

1. Using the same content to see what is the failure pattern.

2. Using the different content to see if the failure pattern changed.

3. See if the same content in #1 can be reproduce in our sample apps.

In general, the media pipeline was created during the configuration but the error happens in the main loop when the pipeline being executed; so your best chance would be looking at the configuration especially the memory and other parameters, also make sure the graphic driver the latest since it is updated sometimes.

Mark Liu

0 Kudos
lin__dexiong
Beginner

Hi all,

Thanks for your Reply.

1. The timing for returning MFX_ERR_DEVICE_FAILED is random: 

we decode the same video file repeatedly, and the frames that fail are random. Switching the different data sources (4K), the same problem will be reproduced.

2. Once MFX_ERR_DEVICE_FAILED is returned, it can not be recovered, and decoding again returns the error.

3. Test Demo is based on the intel_sample code to implement.

Dominic Lin

0 Kudos
Tamer_Assad
Innovator

Hi Dominic,

Could you please confirm the results of the original sample application without modification, as Mark pointed:

3. See if the same content in #1 can be reproduce in our sample apps.

If the original sample works well, then you will have to provide information about your modifications, so that the problem can be further investigated.

Best regards,

Tamer

0 Kudos