Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Decode delay for different H264-levels using D3D11

Carl_P_
Beginner

Hi,

I have a hardware H264-encoder PCI-card which produces a baseline profile with different levels depending on
resoultion, frame rate and bitrate.

When I am decoding this stream with QuickSync I experience a alot of different delays depending on which level I choose.

For example let's look at a 1920x1080 30p 8-mbit stream:

(1) Using auto settings on my hardware encoder (Baseline Profile, BP, 66)
 - QuickSync decoder wants 18 frames in the surface allocator, resulting delay ~500ms

Now I am hard coding the level (which is basically wrong)

(2) Hard coding to 4.1 (Baseline Profile, BP, 66)
- QuickSync decoder wants 12 frames in the surface allocator, resulting delay ~250ms

(3) Hard coding to 4.0 on my encoder (Baseline Profile, BP, 66)
- QuickSync decoder wants 8 frames in the surface allocator, resulting delay ~120ms

(4) Hard coding to 3.2 on my encoder (Baseline Profile, BP, 66)
- QuickSync decoder wants 6 frames in the surface allocator, resulting delay ~66ms

I mean in case 2,3,4 the bitstream is actually wrong but decodes faster and renderes properly with no pixelation. I am using the decoder with AsyncDepth = 1, D3D11, and allocating mfxFrameAllocRequest::NumFrameSuggested in my ID3D11Texture2D pool.

• Is this expected behaviour?
  • Is it possible to decode a baseline profile, level 5.0 and higher with 2 frames delay, for this type of stream?
  • Is it possible to minimize frame caching by respoding to an Alloc() request with less surfaces than mfxFrameAllocRequest::NumFrameSuggested? I guess I always have to honor the mfxFrameAllocRequest::NumFameMin parameter.

br,

Carl

0 Kudos
0 Replies