Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Decoding streaming video

Adi_S_
Beginner
Hi, I'm just getting started with the Intel Media SDK. I have HTTP and UDP video streams. Does the SDK have a way of decoding and transcoding such streams? All the examples I've seen seem to work with bare stream files. If so, could someone please direct me to a sample and/or some reference function names? If not, then can anyone suggest an external framework/lib that can be used in cooperation with the SDK to provide such functionality. I need something that will work on both Windows and Linux. Thank you and warm regards, Adi
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Adi,

Intel Media SDK does not have any support for processing network streams. The SDK focuses purely on elementary stream processing, so you will have to use other components to demux the network stream into elementary stream packets, which you can feed to Media SDK decode.

Take a look the the sample_decode sample (the low latency mode), which is part of the SDK for more details on how to perform decoding for this scenario.

Regarding framework for network stream processing. You can explore FFmpeg, it does provide some of the capabilities you ask for. An FFmpeg/Media SDK integration sample can be found as part of the Media SDK tutorial here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-media-sdk-tutorial

Other SDK users on this forum may be able to provide additional NW streaming framework recommendations.

Regards,
Petter 

0 Kudos
Adi_S_
Beginner

Hi Petter,

Thanks for your reply. My problem with ffmpeg is that it does not really build easily on Windows machines (and specifically with Visual Studio that does not support C99). 

I registered for the Linux beta, though I haven't recieved my access yet. How does that use the media sdk?

Do you (or anyone else) know of any other libs that provide the same functionality? 

I've seen live555.com, but am not sure this is the right framework for this task.

Please advise,

Adi

0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Adi,

You should expect a response regarding Linux Media SDK beta access soon.

There are also several commercial options that may be able to fulfill your needs. Some of them listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming

Regards,
Petter 

0 Kudos
Adi_S_
Beginner

Thanks Petter.

Using your ffmpeg article I did get FFMPEG to work on Windows. :-)

I am studying it now and hoping that the same code may be usable on Linux as well.

Thanks,

Adi

0 Kudos