Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Decompression of MJPEG and MPEG4 using Intel Media SDK

KK
Beginner

Is it possible to do the MJPEG and MPEG4 decompression using Intel Media SDK 2013? if possible how we can do it?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Roman_T_
New Contributor I

Yes, its possible.

Try "sample decode" from Media SDK sample set.

Note, that Media SDK works only with elementary streams (for example H264 video track as a binary file). If you want to read video from containers (AVI, MKV or MP4) you have to use some additional splitter (for example FFMPEG).

Best regards,
Roman

0 Kudos
KK
Beginner

Hi Roman,

Thanks for reply . From your comment I can assume that if the input Video is MJPEG or MPEG4, Media SDK can't decompress .

Plese correct me If I am wrong

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi KK,

I believe by decompress you mean decoding a encoded bit stream like .h264 or .mpeg2 then you can use sample_decode to decode it to a yuv.
If you have a video in a container format like .avi or .mp4 please use ffmpeg or yamb tool to extract bit stream. Once you have a bit stream, use Media SDK to decode the bitstream.
Let me know if that doesn't answer your question and what kind of data you have. 

Thanks, 
-Surbhi

0 Kudos
Roman_T_
New Contributor I

Hi KK,

KK wrote:

Hi Roman,

Thanks for reply . From your comment I can assume that if the input Video is MJPEG or MPEG4, Media SDK can't decompress .

Plese correct me If I am wrong

I've just opened "sample_decode" source.

msdk_printf(MSDK_STRING("Usage: %s mpeg2|h264|h265|vc1|mvc|jpeg|vp8 -hevc_decoder_plugin ver -p PathToUserDecoderPlugin -i InputBitstream -o OutputYUVFile\n"), strAppName);

From source string above you can see that MJPEG compression is supported by MediaSDK. H264 part of MPEG4 is also supported. 

I don't know about MSDK decoding abilities of other parts of MPEG4 (it's a question for Intel engineers), but in any case you can try to do it with "sample_decode".

Best regards,
Roman

0 Kudos