Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

Deployment: Crash when libmfxsw32.dll in same dir as exe

RyanS
New Contributor I

To deploy my application I put libmfxsw32.dll in the same directory as my exe. That used to work, but now when libmfxsw32.dll is in the same dir as my exe, it crashes when loading the hardware dll. If libmfxsw32.dll is in some other directory in the path my program does not crash and works fine.

I am changing several things at once, upgrading to Visual Studio 2015 and INDE 2015 Update 2. I am on Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on a Core i7 3770 (Ivy Bridge) and have just installed the latest driver using the Intel Driver Update Utility which is 15.33.36.64.4226.

I would like to keep my deployment simple and put libmfxsw32.dll in the same dir as my exe. Is that not a supported scenario? Am I doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi There,

For better understand your system. Please send mediasdk_system_analyzer log to me,  you can find mediasdk_system_analyzer under following folder.

<installed folder>\mediasdk\tools\mediasdk_system_analyzer.

About MSDK sample version,  are you using the most new MSDK version from https://software.intel.com/en-us/media-client-solutions-support/code-samples ?

And, What is the command line for your test ?

Thanks,

Zachary

0 Kudos
RyanS
New Contributor I

I have attached the mediasdk_system_analyzer output. I was not using a sample I was using my own program. However I have reproduced the problem with sample_encode in Intel Media Samples 6.0.0.68. The sample_encode.exe does not crash normally, but when I put libmfxsw32.dll into the same dir as the exe it crashes just like my program. It does not crash with every command line, it only crashes when using hw encode. So for example this does not crash:

sample_encode.exe h264 -i Z:\TestMedia\Formats\dvd.nv12 -o C:\Temp\foo.264 -w 720 -h 480 -sw

And this does crash:

sample_encode.exe h264 -i Z:\TestMedia\Formats\dvd.nv12 -o C:\Temp\foo.264 -w 720 -h 480 -d3d -hw

Windows shows this information for the libmfxsw32.dll: 6/2/2015 5:52 PM, 16,287 KB with properties 15.9 MB (16,677,544 bytes).

0 Kudos
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi There,

Do you modify the sample_encode.exe source for your reproduce the issue ?

How do you load libmfxsw32.dll in your program ?

Following can be find in "Known Limitations" in page 6 in mediasdk_release_notes.pdf.

•   Loading of library libmfxsw32.dll/libmfxsw64.dll not through the dispatcher is unsafe.

Thanks

Zachary

0 Kudos
RyanS
New Contributor I

No I didn't modify sample_encode. 

0 Kudos
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi RyanS,

Can you try  sample_encode.exe  in Samples for Intel Media Client version 6.0.0.49, for test the crash ?

Thanks

Zachary

0 Kudos