Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3056 Discussions

Differences between MFX_RATECONTROL_VBR and MFX_RATECONTROL_AVBR

Mariano_Quesada
Beginner
Hello, I don't find differences betweenthe behavior of MFX_RATECONTROL_VBR and MFX_RATECONTROL_AVBR. I have tested both of them and the size and quality of files are similar. I thought that the Average bitrate control could increment the file size in order preserve the quality of the image.

Please, could anyone tell me the difference?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee
Hi,

THe observed difference between the two will depend on the actual bitrates used. If you are working with low bitrates, you should see a difference, but if your using higher bitrates, the difference in filesize (and quality) would be simular. Also the differnece would more noticable onframes with abrupt/spontaneous movement.

In general MFX_RATECONTROL_AVBR is equal or better average quality than MFX_RATECONTROL_VBR, and is best at producing a predictable filesize, but there are many occations where both methods produce very simular results.

-Tony
0 Kudos