Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Does media SDK server support CentOS 64 bit?

johnson_j_
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

The current Linux release supports Ubuntu 12.04 and SLES 11 sp 3.  For more information on plans for Linux distribution support please see this article: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-mediasdk-supported-versions-server.

0 Kudos
Ivan_U_
Beginner

Some time ago I was able to make Media SDK libmfxhw64-p.so.1.8 (API 1.8)  working under CentOS 6.5 kernel 2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.x86_64 but with one quite big limitation: the main application should be launched under root.

When I run an application under general user I got error from vaInitialize() like:

09.25-20:11:19:688 3: vaInitialize...
libva info: VA-API version 0.34.0
open lib: Invalid argument
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 1
09.25-20:11:19:688 1: vaInitialize failure 1

Under root all works just fine

I'm not big linux exert, so it would be great if somebody advise how to avoid root user using if it is possible of course.

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hello Ivan,

Jeff had written a wonderful article that talks exactly about the issue you point out - running application as root. And the article also suggests workaround to avoid sudo-ing every time. Hope this helps.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-drmserver-with-media-sdk-for-linux-servers-applications

0 Kudos
Ivan_U_
Beginner

SRAVANTHI K. (Intel) wrote:

Jeff had written a wonderful article that talks exactly about the issue you point out - running application as root. And the article also suggests workaround to avoid sudo-ing every time. Hope this helps.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-drmserver-with-media-sdk...

The necessity to re-read this article has been appeared but I can not open it anymore, link looks dead. Is it possible to restore it or get the article by e-mail or by any other way?

Thank.

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Ivan, 

I am trying to see if I can retrieve that article. In the mean time can you tell me what Media Server Studio version are you using and are you still on CentOS 6.5 ? 
If you see the latest getting started guide, it mentions you can add yourself as a video user which should solve the above problem. let us know if it helps. 

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
Ivan_U_
Beginner

SURBHI M. (Intel) wrote:

If you see the latest getting started guide, it mentions you can add yourself as a video user which should solve the above problem. let us know if it helps. 

Thank you very much, it is exactly that was missed.

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Great Ivan, closing this issue. Please start a new post, if you come across any new issues. 

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos