Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Does skylake support temporal SVC hardware encoder for H.264?

bai_g_
Beginner

Hi, Experts

I had read the documents of Skylake. It said it does not support SVC encode and decode for H.264. I want to know does skylake support temporal SVC hardware encode.

The Haswell support the temporal SVC, if Skylake does not support it? Why intel disable this function?

Is there any document which had fully describe the video hardware encoder and decoder?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Bai,

Temporal SVC is supported on Skylake.

Best wishes,

Anna

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Bai,

Best wishes,

Anna

0 Kudos
bai_g_
Beginner

Thanks.

Yes, it support temoral SVC. I found it in an old example.  

Anna B. (Intel) wrote:

Hi Bai,

Best wishes,

Anna

0 Kudos
bai_g_
Beginner

I found an example at MSDK_Samples_Deprecated_Windows, and test the sample_videoconf.exe. For this test, I have two question:

1. Why Intel move sample_videoconf.exe to deprecated folder, does it means the feature for video conference will be deprecated?

2. I test this example on two platforms with cmd".\sample_videoconf.exe -i D:\sequence\pedestrian_area_1080p25.yuv -o newconf.avc -w 1920 -h 1080 -b 2048   -ts 2 -latency"
But the latency of encode reported by this example is different, the skylake has higher latency. Why?

Intel(R)Core(TM)i5-5250UCPU@1.60G 2 cores cache:128k+512k+4.0M Graphic card HD6000, latency is 6ms

Intel(R)Core(TM)i3-6100CPU@3.70G 2 cores cache:128k+512k+4.0M Graphic card HD530, latency is 10ms.

Anna B. (Intel) wrote:

Hi Bai,

Best wishes,

Anna

0 Kudos
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Bai,

1. Moving this sample to deprecated folder means that we don't support and validate this code sample now. But features for videoconferencing are still available and supported.

2. You have two completely different systems with different CPU and GPU performance. It's not correct to compare Broadwell with GT3 and Skylake with GT2. So Broadwell with HD6000(GT3) should be compared with Skylake on P540(GT3). Also latency is sensitive to GPU frequency. To provide measurements you should set up the same GPU frequency on both machines.

Best wishes,

Anna

0 Kudos
bai_g_
Beginner

Thanks. I got it. 

Anna B. (Intel) wrote:

Bai,

1. Moving this sample to deprecated folder means that we don't support and validate this code sample now. But features for videoconferencing are still available and supported.

2. You have two completely different systems with different CPU and GPU performance. It's not correct to compare Broadwell with GT3 and Skylake with GT2. So Broadwell with HD6000(GT3) should be compared with Skylake on P540(GT3). Also latency is sensitive to GPU frequency. To provide measurements you should set up the same GPU frequency on both machines.

Best wishes,

Anna

0 Kudos