Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Does the encoder use the GPU??

andrasjpeg
Beginner

While the QuickSync encoding engine doesn't seem to use up much CPU, it seems to use up a lot of GPU cycles (according to ProcessExplorer).

Also, when I'm rendering and encoding at the same time, rendering performance suffers.

Is this a known and expected behavior? I was hoping that the encoding is done in a separate unit that can work indepndently in parallel..

Andras

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi, The degree of GPU load depends on the workload. It's hard to say if what your experiencing is normal or not without a better understanding of your workload. For instance if you're running an efficient transcode pipeline your GPU will likely be under high load. The Quicksync encoding component does use both GPU execution unit (shared with generic GPU operations) and GPU fixed function units handling encoding specific tasks. If you'd like to explore the GPU load further I suggest checking out Intel Graphics Performance Analyzer (GPA) which will give you a momentary view of the GPU load (per unit) and also allow fetching GPU workload traces. http://software.intel.com/en-us/vcsource/tools/intel-gpa Regards, Petter
0 Kudos
andrasjpeg
Beginner
I see. We do have a very high workload on the encoder. I was hoping that encoding would have no effect on rendering performance, but it seems like it does. I cannot use GPA, since our application is using OpenGL for rendering..
0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Aha, you're using OpenGL . That will certainly lead to at least some CPU/mem bandwidth overhead. The primary validated use of Media SDK/Quicksync is for applications using DirectX. From a functional perspective there should be no issues using OpenGL. But I do not think the concurrent use of DirectX and OpenGL driver and how it impacts GPU performance is well understood. If you are concerned about coexistence of OpenGL and DirectX and the impact on performance I suggest you raise the issue on Intel graphics driver forum instead. Regards, Petter
0 Kudos