Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Empty decoded buffer in AVC HW decoder on Skylake

Prashanth_N_
Beginner

Hello,

I am writing a gstreamer AVC decoder plugin for intel HW decoder. It is working fine on Haswell PCs but on Skylake machines I am randomly getting empty output frame buffers(which leads to green frames) even though decoder returns MFX_ERR_NONE. Few of the observations are as below.

1. It is working fine on Haswell PCs with MFX v1.19

2. It started working on the skylake PCs when I downgraded the driver version so that it installs MFX v1.17. After that I made few experiments and observed that AVC HW decoder is fine with MFX v1.16 and 1.17 and has issues with v1.19, 1.21 and 1.23 (I tested only these version).

3. We figured out that it is working fine when we replace the "C:\Program Files\Intel\Media SDK\libmfxhw64.dll" with MFX v1.17 dll. 

4. I also tried to copy libmfxhw64.dll (MFX v1.17) to my application folder so that it loads the local dll instead of the one present in the "Intel\Media SDK" folder. But it still loaded the dll present in "Intel\Media SDK" and loads the local dll only if "Intel\Media SDK" folder does not exist (I understand we are not supposed to redistribute libmfxhw64.dll but was trying for a workaround)

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ViCue_S_
New Contributor I

did you try different driver versions or you reinstalled MediaSDK only?

0 Kudos
Prashanth_N_
Beginner

I tried different driver versions.

0 Kudos
ViCue_S_
New Contributor I

Put together reproducer as described on front page. As easier to reproduce your environment as faster help you will get

To get the best support possible, please include the following information in your post:

• Product version
  • Platform you are building on – Processor, OS, graphic driver, driver version
  • Clear explanation of your issue
  • How to reproduce your problem
0 Kudos
Prashanth_N_
Beginner

Hello all,

I was able to fix the issue by disabling GPUCopy while initializing the decoder. I was facing issue with Intel HD Graphics 520. Looks like decoder is using GPU for copying frames from Video memory to System memory and GPU is serving old frames when same pointer is provided to the SDK. 

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. 

0 Kudos