Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Encoding slower from video memory

BMart1
New Contributor II

The documentation states that video memory is faster than system memory for encoding, but it isn't, at least in Win10 + Kaby Lake + DX9. If the frame is in system memory in YV12 format, it's faster to copy-convert it to NV12 into a system surface and send that to the encoder than to convert it to NV12 to a video surface.

An encoder doesn't actually re-read old frames like the decoder does. If a frame is a reference to another, all comparisons are against the lossy coded version of the reference frame, not the original, so it makes sense not to sweat where the original frame is. What am I missing?

Bruno

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Bruno,

If my understanding is correct, the pipe line you described is:

YV12-->NV12-->Enc

And in general, our doc says NV12->Enc is faster in video memory than in system memory, if your statement includes YV12-->NV12, then this is not said by our doc, right?

Mark

0 Kudos
BMart1
New Contributor II

Hi Mark,

I convert from yv12 to nv12 with ippiYCbCr420_8u_P3P2R​, before QuickSync gets involved, both for system memory and video memory. The point is that I can't avoid a copy even for system memory. The number of copies is the same for system and video memory.

Bruno

0 Kudos