Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

FFMPEG, H264 partial HW acceleration under Ubuntu

Mityaev__Dmitry
Beginner

Hello,

could you please help to identify an issue when running FFMPEG with QSV under Ubuntu 17.10, Media Server Studio 2017?

I try to encode raw video using H264 codec using a command:

ffmpeg -y -i sample_1080p.y4m -c:v h264_qsv -preset fast -look_ahead 0 output_1080p.264

The h264_qsv codec prints a warning "Encoder will work with partial HW acceleration". The CPU load is pretty high and reaches about 70%. Meantime the performance is lower than expected and it's about 70fps. Adding some constraints like maximum bitrate and buffer can drop it to 20fps. I observe similar behaviour on both HD530 and Iris Pro 6200 iGPUs (i7-6700K and i7-5775C CPUs respectively).

If drop "-look_ahead 0" parameter, the codec prints error: "Selected ratecontrol mode is not supported by the QSV runtime. Choose a different mode.".

Checking the quality shows a PSNR(Y) difference may reach several dB comparing to the same parameters for libx264. Which I believe is not expected. Looks like I use QSV in some wrong way.

Could you guide me to the correct direction? What can a root cause be for such behaviour?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi There,

You may want to check followings -

Thanks,

Zach

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Dmitry,

You might try to check with our sample_encode first to see if this is the encoding issue. FFmpeg doesn't guarantee to transfer all argument to media sdk side.

You might convert sample_1080p.y4m first since our sample only works with YUV or ES format.

Mark

0 Kudos
yang_z_
Beginner

Hi, Dmitry

I can confirm ffmpeg print the partial HW acceleration error too, the h264_qsv codec no longer working in ffmpeg since from ffmpeg-3.2.4. I can confirm same compiling parameters and h264_qsv working pretty good in ffmpeg-3.2.4, but other version like ffmpeg-3.3.1, ffmpeg-3.4.2 or even ffmpeg-4.0. the h264_qsv just print partial HW acceleration.

0 Kudos