Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

FFMPEG Live versus File Priorities

Robert_M_9
Beginner

Hi,

We are using Intel Media Server Studio with ffmpeg to transcode 10 live streams each to 2 HLS bitrates.  This is using about 80-90% of the GPU capacity.  Each transcode is run as a separate process and the decoding is done using the cpu.  The processor is a Core-i7 5775C.

If a file is also transcoded then the GPU processing continuously hits 100%.

Is it known or is there a way to make sure that the transcoding for the live streams has priority over file transcoding?  Is it possible to be able set the equivalent of "nice" value for the GPU?

Thanks,

Bob.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Bob,

For MSDK Live stream and file as input have no special difference. Because MSDK focus on Decode/VPP/Encode.  And as I know there is no "nice" value for GPU.

what is your system environment ? 

Which version of Intel Media Sever studio you are using ?

Thanks,

Zachary

0 Kudos
Robert_M_9
Beginner

Hi Zachary,

Thanks.

We're using Media Server StudioEssentials 2016 with Centos 7.1.

I suspect what we may have to do is stream the file into ffmpeg and control the incoming rate by monitoring the GPU load.

Regards,

Bob.

0 Kudos