Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

FFMPEG QuickSync Performance Comparison With Different Memory Card

yang_z_
Beginner

Hi,

I have compiled FFMPEG with Quick Sync supports successfully. I was follow this blog "https://hirooka.pro/?p=8660", then I using same 1080p video file to test, but the performance is very strange. here is the problem.

Test Result:

In that blog, test result is maximum 200 fps for 1080p encoding. speed is about 8.5x.

but my test result is maximum 120 fps, and speed is about 5x.

Hardware:

In that blog, i3-6100 + ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING. (Memory Unknown)  

In my case, i3-6100 + ASUS B150M-D + DDR4 2400 Memory(Actually Frequency is 2133MHz)

I was use same ffmpeg version with blog, when I run the ffmpeg command, I noticed GPU only used maximum 60%, but CPU are 100% used. I think the problem is caused by memory bandwidth. because ffmpeg need copy frames between system and GPU memory, so this is why CPU load is so high, but I am not sure. can anyone test it by using different memory card?

thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
yang_z_
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I just tested it today, and the answer is: memory bandwidth will effect the quick sync performance. after I plugged another 8G DDR4 Memory, the performance huge increased. from 120 FPS increased to 190 FPS.  so use at least 2 memory card to increase memory bandwidth is necessary.

thanks!

0 Kudos
Stav_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Yang,

Sorry for the late reply- yes HW restrictions such as memory bandwidth will have an effect as you noticed. 

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with. 

Regards,

Stav

0 Kudos