Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3056 Discussions

Fail to install MediaServerStudioEssentials2017R2 on virtualBox

applemax82
Beginner

Hi,

I’m SW engineer from JD. I have one question about Intel MSDK. Zachary is on vacation for Chinese New Year now. Therefore, I ask you for some help.

I intend to install MediaServerStudioEssentials2017R2 on virtual machine or some Intel server without Intel GPU, where I can make a building environment.

If I build ffmpeg with libmfx option in that building environment, can ffmpeg do transcoding task with Intel qsv codec in the Intel server with Intel GPU?

I use ‘Oracle VM Virtualbox’ to build one virtual machine, where CentOS 7.2 is installed. According to ‘media_server_studio_getting_started_guide.pdf’, I install MSDK:

1) usermod -a -G video root

2) groups root

3) install_sdk_CentOS.sh

4) rpm -ivh intel-opencl-r4.0-59481.x86_64.rpm

5) rpm -ivh intel-opencl-devel-r4.0-59481.x86_64.rpm

6) rpm -ivh intel-opencl-cpu-r4.0-59481.x86_64.rpm

7) reboot

8) run command vainfo, which reports error

[root@localhost work]# vainfo

libva info: VA-API version 0.99.0

Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0".

libva info: va_getDriverName() returns -1

libva error: va_getDriverName() failed with unknown libva error,driver_name=(null)

vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

[root@localhost work]#

[root@localhost work]#

[root@localhost work]#

[root@localhost work]# DISPLAY=:0.0 vainfo

libva info: VA-API version 0.99.0

Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

libva info: va_getDriverName() returns -1

libva error: va_getDriverName() failed with unknown libva error,driver_name=(null)

vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

Does that means, Intel MSDK can’t be installed on virtual machine?

Thanks!

Regards

Andrew

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Andrew,

We never try to install MSDK in VirtualBox and even you installed it, how could you keep the environment stable. But I heard someone tried on Docker and it works.

So if you want to try it, you have to make sure i915 driver is shared between VM and host.

In case of "vainfo" command, you need to make sure the following environment is set:

LIBVA_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri
LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=iHD

Mark

0 Kudos