Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Feature Supported in Intel Media SDK

Rishab_G_2
Beginner

Hello All , 

I need to confirm whether some of the features are supported by for transcoding in Intel Media SDK:

1) Is 10 bit decoding and encoding for H264 and MPEG2 ? 

2) Which Codec Profiles are not supported in H264 and MPEG2 ?

3) Is 422 encoding or decoding supported in H264 and MPEG2 ?

4) Do Subtitles insertion in bitstream is supported  while encoding ?

Please do reply to these queries as soon as possible.

Regards

Rishab

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Rishab_G_2
Beginner

Hello All,

Please do reply to my above query .

I also would like to add that there is any way to add SEI Messages while encoding using Intel Media SDK.

Regards

Rishab

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Rishabh,

Here are the answer to your questions-

1) Is 10 bit decoding and encoding for H264 and MPEG2 ? 
No 10 bit encoding & decoding is offered today for H264 and MPEG2 due to HW contraint.

2) Which Codec Profiles are not supported in H264 and MPEG2 ?
Which Profiles are you interested in? You can find all the codec profiles on Page 148 in Media SDK Manual and let us know, we can get you more info about that. 

3) Is 422 encoding or decoding supported in H264 and MPEG2 ?
No 422 encoding and decoding is not supported for H264 and MPEG2 Codec due to HW constraint. 

Regarding SEI messages - we will get back to you soon. 

Thanks,
-Surbhi

0 Kudos
Rishab_G_2
Beginner

Hello Surbhi ,

Thanks for the reply and your inputs have been really helpful.

I also want to add one more query to the list .

We know that SPS and PPS are repeated at each IDR in a bitstream. Is it possible we can configure Intel Media SDK encoder to insert SPS and PPS at each I-frame also ?

Looking forward for your reply for this query and the query on SEI parameters.

Regards,

Rishab

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Rishab, 

Glad they were helpful. To change the insertion of SPS and PPS information, you can change the value of IdrInterval. The values would differ for H264 and MPEG2.
Quoted from manual : 
"IdrInterval For H.264, IdrInterval specifies IDR-frame interval in terms of I-frames; if IdrInterval=0, then every I-frame is an IDR-frame. If IdrInterval=1, then every other I-frame is an IDR-frame, etc.
For MPEG2, IdrInterval defines sequence header interval in terms of I-frames. If IdrInterval=N, SDK inserts the sequence header before every Nth I-frame. If IdrInterval=0 (default), SDK inserts the sequence header once at the beginning of the stream.
f GopPicSize or GopRefDist is zero, IdrInterval is undefined."

Thanks, 
-Surbhi

0 Kudos
Satyajit_K_
Beginner

Hi Surbhi and Intel Team,

I went through above post and it mentions that 422 encoding/decoding and 10bit encoding/decoding is not supported with Intel Media SDK. 

Since this communication is older one, I thought of checking if it added in newer versions of SDK.

I have below specific queries.

1. I see that 'MFX_PROFILE_AVC_HIGH_422' is added in mfxstructures.h in Intel Media SDK V1.15 (Available with Media Server Studio Essential 2015 R5). Does this mean - this version of SDK supports 422 decode/encode? If still not, any reason why this ENUM was added in profiles?

2. Is 10bit encoding/decoding supported in latest Intel Media SDK? In ColorFourCC ENUM, MFX_FOURCC_P010 and MFX_FOURCC_P210 are mentioned which talks about 10 bit format. Any specific reason they are added?

Overall, just from documentation it is difficult to conclude if above features are supported or not. Also, additions like above in header files creates a doubt.

So if you have any web link or document explicitely mentioning various profiles and levels supported (tested) for encode and decode, please share the same.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks and regards,

Satyajit    

0 Kudos
Satyajit_K_
Beginner

I went through above post and it mentions that 422 encoding/decoding and 10bit encoding/decoding is not supported with Intel Media SDK. 

Since this communication is older one, I thought of checking if it added in newer versions of SDK.

I have below specific queries.

1. I see that 'MFX_PROFILE_AVC_HIGH_422' is added in mfxstructures.h in Intel Media SDK V1.15 (Available with Media Server Studio Essential 2015 R5). Does this mean - this version of SDK supports 422 decode/encode? If still not, any reason why this ENUM was added in profiles?

2. Is 10bit encoding/decoding supported in latest Intel Media SDK? In ColorFourCC ENUM, MFX_FOURCC_P010 and MFX_FOURCC_P210 are mentioned which talks about 10 bit format. Any specific reason they are added?

Overall, just from documentation it is difficult to conclude if above features are supported or not. Also, additions like above in header files creates a doubt.

So if you have any web link or document explicitely mentioning various profiles and levels supported (tested) for encode and decode, please share the same.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks and regards,

Satyajit    

0 Kudos
Satyajit_K_
Beginner

Any info on above query? 

Thanks and regards,

Satyajit

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Satyajit,

My initial reply to 4:2:2 and 10 bit support still hold true. Like I said this is no support for 4:2:2 and 10 bit due to hardware restriction. The profiles has been added as a place holder to fill in the future. No support is available at this point of time. For 10 bit color format is supported for HEVC codec, that's why the format was added. 

I agree that it is not clearly written in our manual or samples. The simplest way is to ask in the forum, try using samples or check FAQs(this question is answered there). We are trying everyday to improve the product and it's documentation. Thanks for the feedback. 

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos