Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Fixed files size VBR encoding

BScha9
Beginner
Segmenting encoders are required to output continuous short AVC files, say 1S in duration.   Furthermore, the files size have a fixed maximum, say 1MB.   The segment files are usually transferred over IP data network via HTTP to a client where the files are then decoded and played out in a smooth manner.

With this in mind, what is the proper configuration of the AVC CODEC in order that each 'fixed max size' file is of the highest quality?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi,

I believe your best approach is to experiment with the SDK using your typical workloads to determine suitable configuration for your purposes. AVC encoder support a range of bit rate control methods such as CBR and VBR. Both CBR and VBR rate control can be configured to not exceed specified bit rate. Based on the selected bit rate you can calculate estimated max file size for the interval you have in mind. There is no SDK configuration parameter that lets you set max file size.

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos
BScha9
Beginner
Refer to software.intel.com/file/43685  paragraph 6.1.4 HRD Parameters.

This suggests that the encoder VBR BR can be tuned preventing a decoder underflow/overflow.

RateControMethod
InitialDelayInKB
BufferSizeInKB
TargetKbps
MaxKbps

I have not been able to find the Intel spin on HRD type II model.  I would hope to find a relationship between the above 5 parameters and the HRD model. 
0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi,

Intel Media SDK encoder is HRD compliant unless otherwise specified (as for specific parameter options) in the manual.

The chapter you refer to is a bit unclear and confusing. We will improve the wording in future documentation.

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos