Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Frame rate

Vassili_Yakovlev
Beginner
Is there any reason why Video encoder won't initialize with framerate parameter higher than172 fps?
I have live video streams from GigE camera's with frame rate for example 300 fps which I encode with Intel Media SDK, but I have to initialize encoder with frame rate just 172 fps and let encode stream as is - 300 fps as I receive from camera, which actually works.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee
Hi,

The Media SDK uses an HRD-compliant process to calculate all the encode parameters it needs, and I believe any fps value greater than 172 causes some variables to be larger than the some internal variables were originally designed to handle (16-bit 'short' variables vs. 'long' variables). The Media SDK checks the values of parameters for validity, and returns the 'unsupported' error message to avoid overflow issues.

I will ask developers to look into this apparent limitation on fps, and either update documentation or provide information on updated Media SDK.

THANKS for the question.

-Tony

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee
Hi,

I can look into the limits. What standard Profile & Level are you targeting? (resolution, bitrate, etc.)

-Tony
0 Kudos
Vassili_Yakovlev
Beginner

Hi,

I've tested with all three profiles: baseline, main and high, also different levels, mainly 4.1 (btw. when I choose 5.0/5.1 encoder cannot be initialized with hardware acceleration),with resolution 640x480 and using CQP (MFX_RATECONTROL_CQP), target usage is set to MFX_TARGETUSAGE_BEST_SPEED for this frame rate, and chosen AVC codec.

0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee
Hi,

The Media SDK uses an HRD-compliant process to calculate all the encode parameters it needs, and I believe any fps value greater than 172 causes some variables to be larger than the some internal variables were originally designed to handle (16-bit 'short' variables vs. 'long' variables). The Media SDK checks the values of parameters for validity, and returns the 'unsupported' error message to avoid overflow issues.

I will ask developers to look into this apparent limitation on fps, and either update documentation or provide information on updated Media SDK.

THANKS for the question.

-Tony
0 Kudos