Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

GPU hung kernel error when running samples

Shannon
Beginner

I am running a 3rd Gen processor with the Linux Server Edition of the Intel Media SDK. I have the samples installed but when I go to run any of them I get this kernel error:

kernel: [508725.806134] [drm:i915_wait_request] *ERROR* i915_wait_request returns -11 (awaiting 47281 at 47280, next 47282)
kernel: [509316.141932] [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung

Here is the sample I am running and it's output:

Command:

sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/intel/mediasdk/bin/x64 ./sample_decode_drm mpeg2 -i ~/streams/stream.ts -o ~/streams/out.yuv -hw

Output:

libva info: VA-API version 0.34.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Intel(R) Media SDK Decoding Sample Version 0.0.000.0000

Input video MPG2
Output format YUV420
Resolution 720x480
Crop X,Y,W,H 0,0,720,480
Frame rate 29.97
Memory type system
MediaSDK impl hw
MediaSDK version 1.8

Decoding started
Frame number: 3598
Return on error: error code -7, /opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/sample_decode/src/pipeline_decode.cpp 964

Return on error: error code 1, /opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/sample_decode/src/sample_decode.cpp 348

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

This may be related to your installation.  Which Linux distro, kernel version, and libdrm version do you have installed?  Is the processor Xeon or Core?

Media SDK for Linux Servers has some very specific configuration requirements.  More info is in the release notes and installation guide, as well as this thread: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/472852.  

0 Kudos
Shannon
Beginner

I am using Linux Server 12.04

Kernel is 3.2.0-41-generic

Processor is: Core i3-3217U

libdrm was 2.4.43 but I installed 2.4.45 from source. I am not entirely sure if it installed properly because it did not replace the files in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/, only the ones in /usr/local/lib/

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

It looks like timeout hung.I do not know how it is managed on Linux,but on Windows GPU hung can be caused by long running code on GPU which itself cannot swap out the code(kernel).In such a situation driver will reset the device.

0 Kudos
Shannon
Beginner

Do you know how I get this to stop happening? I am assuming it is not normal for the GPU should to hang when doing one decode. I am thinking it is a configuration error somehow. This happens both when I run the sample binary that was prebuilt and the one I compiled.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Do you have Nvidia GPU?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>kernel: [508725.806134] [drm:i915_wait_request] *ERROR* i915_wait_request returns -11 (awaiting 47281 at 47280, next 47282)>>>

I think that this could be a cause of hang.It looks like timeout wait on resources which causes the GPU to hang.I think that it can be important to understand -11 return value.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Do you have any updates.

0 Kudos
Shannon
Beginner

Yes, the problem has been figured out. I was using a transport stream as my input instead of an elementary stream. I demuxed my stream and ran just the video through and it worked fine.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Glad that you solved your problem.

0 Kudos